Whoa I need more stuff like this (PiL, SPK)
Oct 24, 2004 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got Public Image Ltd. "Second Edition" and SPK "Auto Da Fe" and I'm totalling loving these up!

Is there anything else I should be checking out? It's been so long since I've heard anything I enjoyed this much.
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't remember, is Auto da Fe one of SPK's noisier albums?--if so there's a few others in that style. Not that I can remember their names at the moment.

Whatever you do, though... STAY FAR, FAR, FAR AWAY from SPK's "Gold & Poison." Avoid it like it's the plague (because it is).

- Chris

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Haha I've already read some warning about their later material...

Yeah this one seems pretty noisy to me, at least for when it came out. The next SPK album I'm looking at getting is "Leichenschrei."

Oct 27, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 4
heh... get the other early PiL albums!
tongue.gif
if you think Second Edition is off the wall, wait till you hear Flowers of Romance. this has got to be one of the most inaccessible albums released in a pop-rock format. where Metal Box/Second Edition was about dub-bass and thick rhythms, Flowers of Romance makes a complete 180 and features sharp tribal drumming, exotic world music instrumentation, studio doodlings, and not much else. this album needs a lot of patience to be appreciated, and rewards heavily. also has John Lydon's best lyrics IMO.

the first album Public Image (AKA First Issue) is probably the closest thing to Metal Box/Second Edition, some songs still having punkish roots, while others hint towards they style of Second Edition. if you love Second Edition, i guarantee you'll love the songs "Theme" and "Fodderstompf."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back