Whoa, Front Panel Express!
Nov 8, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #16 of 47
Looks absolutely beautiful.
BTW why are you using those giant caps (look like 600V Roederstein or something) for C7? Having a component that's in the feedback loop on the other end of the board and needing to route the signal there and back would make me nervous...

Nov 8, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

BTW why are you using those giant caps (look like 600V Roederstein or something) for C7? Having a component that's in the feedback loop on the other end of the board and needing to route the signal there and back would make me nervous...

Well - the only value of C7 that satisfied me was 0.33uF, and there was no way I could get any reasonable 0.33uF cap (polypropylene film) in that PCM5 layout... So.

Yeah, they're 600V (was it 630V?) Roedersteins - and about the placement, even if the bass boost is bypassed, the signal has to travel all the way to the rear panel and back, through the switch - so I thought that it's not all that bad having to route the signal to the side and back...

Well, sonically (or in any other way, for that matter) I haven't had a problem yet with the placement...
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
Yeah, they're 600V (was it 630V?)

Who's counting
tongue.gif

Quote:

Roedersteins - and about the placement, even if the bass boost is bypassed, the signal has to travel all the way to the rear panel and back, through the switch - so I thought that it's not all that bad having to route the signal to the side and back...

Yeah, you have a point there. Anyway, very nice amp, if it sounds only half as good as it looks I'm very jealous.

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:26 AM Post #19 of 47
Yeah front panel express and their european counter part are really nice to deal with. I had this made:

front.jpg

Opted not to countersink the volume knob since I wasn't sure about how good the tolerances would be but I regret it now.

The paper thing will be replaced with a back lit film so I can see the different settings controlled by the joystick on the left.

Nov 9, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
They're 22AWG Pure Silver Teflon-"coated" wires. Really makes a nice difference compared to my "test-bench" copper-wired PPA...
biggrin.gif

Link to place of purchase please?

Nov 9, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 47
Gorgeous panels, doob! If you get any more made, perhaps the screw hole countersinking could be a bit shallower, as it goes too close to the edge of the panel and leaves a significant perimeter showing around the screw heads, or you could consider using the straight sided hex or torx machine screws that are popular nowadays.

Nov 9, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 47
Bill, you can get silver wire with teflon insulation at percyaudio, welborne labs, and partsconnexion. I've heard silver wire is bright and teflon has its own sonic signature, but i havn't used it myself. If it sounds good, then right on! I'm going to start using vampire high purity copper with polyethylene insulation.

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 47
Beautiful panels, Doo!

Quote:

the screws that are supplied in the black anodized cases are larger than the ones supplied in the clear anodized cases...

It's not that simple. Hammond supplies both larger and smaller screws on all cases. Basically you can't count on knowing exactly what screws you get.

You're better off finding some third-party screws and designing around them.

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 47
Rear was 26 and front was 22 bucks, or vice versa. But then you also have shipping fees and that adds a lot to the total (not to mention taxes). Right now they have no competition and it shows - e.g. they ship exactly a week after you order if you order standard, no matter how long it actually takes to make (perhaps in order to preserve value for people who pay double or even triple to get their stuff done in 3 or 1 day), and their shipping cost is high.

I have to say though that countersinking doesn't look equally good on all parts (matter of taste, of course). Knob and LED look better for it, as do the RCA jacks in question (they normally look ugly). But I don't like countersunk effect on the headphone jack, DC power jack and especially power switch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back