Whoa...Burn in!
Apr 29, 2005 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
Something happened last night that just made my MS-2i's BLOOM.

They now have this BIG, WARM, and DETAILED sound...whereas before they were brighter and more distant.

Awesome. I'm pretty sure it's not in my head...it happened somewhere around the 100 hour mark of burn-in, I think...

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 24
Congratulations, you're now just as crazy as the rest of us burn-in believers.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
waiting for scarpatii's reaction.
icon10.gif

He'll tell you your ears are lying to your brain, and the only thin burning is the incense in your head...

to the OP, I have noticed post burn in differences in all my cans. some more dramatic than others. Most dramatic= e2c, least dramatic DT770.

Garrett

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 24
Kramer,

Just what was the change in your E2C's and after how much burn in? I have some I use with my iRiver IFP799 and I haven't yet noticed much change in the first 40-50 hours.

Caver

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by caver
Kramer,

Just what was the change in your E2C's and after how much burn in? I have some I use with my iRiver IFP799 and I haven't yet noticed much change in the first 40-50 hours.

Caver

90-100 hours of loud dreamtheater & Rush tunes. Then 90 more hours of 30Hz tones amped through my edcor HA400.

Use CAUTION burning thtem in and monitor their temps every 10 minutes for the first hour of each session. Dont want to blow the coils.

Garrett

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
90-100 hours of loud dreamtheater & Rush tunes. Then 90 more hours of 30Hz tones amped through my edcor HA400.

Use CAUTION burning thtem in and monitor their temps every 10 minutes for the first hour of each session. Dont want to blow the coils.

Garrett

Cool. What was the change in sound quality?

Caver

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Cool. What was the change in sound quality?

Caver

Midrange exageration from 900-4000Hz mellows a little. Sub-bass extension is better, bass becomes more bloated. With the mids less pronounced, it gives the illusion of more treble. Although I doubt the treble actually increases post burn in, its more the result of the mids receeding a little. IMHO treble remains unchanged and is severely recessed post burnin.

The difference is small but there IMHO. Search other posts, other members have reported the same thing I have, albeit, after following my recommendations.

Garrett

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 24
how can that be possible just like that. it takes sometime(burn in).it is progressive change for example- even in new machines too.it is high time if some one would explain the burn in process(technical aspect) in speakers be it the headphones or loud speakers.ur help is very much appreciated

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 24
Thanks Garrett.

I'll have to hook my E2c's up this weekend and let them crank for a while and check the change.

I got my E2c's as a response to a lady in an adjacent cube at work commenting on the Def Leopard I was playing one afternoon on my Koss Porta Pro's...her way of saying "turn it down!"

So far I'm pretty pleased with the Shure's. Nice detail...a little better bass extension would be nice. I'm still trying to decide if the slight "fuzzy/grainyness" I hear around some treble is actually the phones or a compression artifact in my mp3's (LAME, alt preset standard, VBR ≈ 196kbps.)

I'm not real crazy about canal phones. If I can find something with a similar signature and low leakage in a standard headphone design I'll be a happy camper.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 24
another believer's story...

If you don't buy it, get a set of Senn HD280s... They go from decent to crap to great over the span of a month.

I didn't beleive until I heard it either. The bass went from okay to non-existant to POW!!!

basshead.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Thanks Garrett.

I'll have to hook my E2c's up this weekend and let them crank for a while and check the change.

I got my E2c's as a response to a lady in an adjacent cube at work commenting on the Def Leopard I was playing one afternoon on my Koss Porta Pro's...her way of saying "turn it down!"

So far I'm pretty pleased with the Shure's. Nice detail...a little better bass extension would be nice. I'm still trying to decide if the slight "fuzzy/grainyness" I hear around some treble is actually the phones or a compression artifact in my mp3's (LAME, alt preset standard, VBR ≈ 196kbps.)

I'm not real crazy about canal phones. If I can find something with a similar signature and low leakage in a standard headphone design I'll be a happy camper.

Sure, give it a try and use caution, dont want to blow the coils.

IMHO the Koss 60 ohm cans are incredible value. Note that even post burnin the e2c cant come close to the overall sound/image of the koss. So, burnin is no miricle worker and wont dramatically alter the overal signature... but it does add some subtle changes... IMHO of course

Apr 30, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
And there's no such thing as 'burn-in'.

i agree, its better refered as "use induced driver material property change" that is a more accurate term than burn in. nobody actuyally burns anything near their headphones to caus "use induced driver material property change."

speakers which are cold also dont sound diferent from ones at room temperature (or above room temperature) due to the variation in flexibility of the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back