Who would you say is the "Pink Floyd" of today?
May 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #106 of 141
Beck?

That's the closest I could think of. He does some fluff songs, but everything I've heard from him is well crafted. Prolific and weird, but also rockish.

May 27, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #109 of 141
While there are a few (very few) decent artists out there today that are innovative and still have some integrity, they fight an uphill battle against the soul crushing BS symptomatic of phenomenon like "American Idol". I was at the "Animals" concert at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal and I can tell you that that era is OVER. All you have to do is ask the average grade 10 what they listen to today and you will find wide diversity ranging from the great music of the 60s and 70s to hardcore jazz and VERY little that is contemporary. There's a reason for that.

May 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #110 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are a few (very few) decent artists out there today that are innovative and still have some integrity

There are many artists out there today who maintain artistic integrity and consistently put out interesting music... they simply aren't right under your nose. Music that's released under the flag of contemporary popular culture is infinitesimal when placed against the full force of all the music that's being made around the world today, and using said mainstream pop as some kind of definitive yard stick for all of modern music is essentially nonsense.

I won't argue that it can be difficult these days to actually find such artists in bulk without considerable effort, but they're certainly out there, and in vast numbers. In fact, I believe I can safely say that there are far more artists around these days who revel in obscurity than those who bathe in the luxurious cash fountains of the modern music industry.

May 27, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #111 of 141
The last truly GREAT artist I've come across was Me'Shell NdegéOcello. Not even remotely mainstream and a massive talent. That doesn't mean mainstream is always garbage either. Corinne Bailey Rae is totally mainstream and very very good. The points is that the times have changed. We live in shallow times where it's all about style and pose... If you don't believe me go and ask a few youngsters. I was very surprised to find many (a lot) of my grade 10 students are more interested in Led Zeppilin, Hendrix and or even Monk and Miles than what they can find today.

May 27, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #112 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't believe me go and ask a few youngsters. I was very surprised to find many (a lot) of my grade 10 students are more interested in Led Zeppilin, Hendrix and or even Monk and Miles than what they can find today.

I would ask what it is exactly that they have found today? Exposure is very important in today's musical climate, because - as I said above - the great stuff tends to be deep under the radar... and if your students aren't aware of the full extent of current musical output, then what do their preferences really indicate aside from personal preference? Regardless, I don't need to depend on other people to reaffirm my belief that musical progression and artistic integrity are very healthy in contemporary music. My own listening habits are enough.

Listen to LZ, Hendrix, Monk, and Miles if you wish - nothing wrong with that. I'll be listening to bands like Thinking Plague, Shining, Estradasphere and Neurosis.

May 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #113 of 141
In the context of the thread, though, if a band is under the radar it can't be a modern-day Pink Floyd.

I think music has devolved to a point to where it can't support a pink floyd. I think a lot of this has to do with technology and that people today have more entertainment choices. The stereo system of today is a bigscreen TV.

May 27, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #116 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard some of that Opera he did recently and thought it was horrible.

You must be referring to Roger Waters.

If you're going to listen to Roger Waters, Amused to Death is a must.

Check out On an Island, by David Gilmour, great album.

May 27, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #117 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the context of the thread, though, if a band is under the radar it can't be a modern-day Pink Floyd.

I think music has devolved to a point to where it can't support a pink floyd. I think a lot of this has to do with technology and that people today have more entertainment choices. The stereo system of today is a bigscreen TV.

I absolutely agree. In particular technology has sucked the life out of the process of making music. Drum machines, programed samples and individual tracks laid down separately with no interaction whatsoever make the process cheaper and soulless. People would never consider a photograph stuck in the middle of a Picasso as legitimate art but for some reason building music around a drum machine is acceptable. The average person today has never even heard the organic power of live band driven by a killer (all human) rhythm section.

May 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #118 of 141
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread already but with the fragmentation of music nowadays, I doubt there's going to be one Pink Floyd in retrospect.

May 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #120 of 141
Godspeed You Black Emperor! in terms of creativity but I can't think of anyone who put out as much material as Floyd which was consistant...
confused.gif

Says alot about how good they really are that no-one has topped them... mind you, if you put all the GYBE! albums and their side projects together I'd say IMO they'd top Floyd
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back