Who would have thought... / AOpen Tube Motherboard
Jun 4, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Phloodpants
Grinch, I don't want to assume you agree with this statement just because you quoted it from OCP...

...but clearly the sound is ultimately coming from a very cheap and very crappy AC97 codec chip, which is most definitely made of silicon.

No tube can un-silicon that lousy codec!

Please tell me you're not really falling for this...
rolleyes.gif

Not to mention that you would have to change tubes once or twice a year depending on whether you leave your system on 24/7. It sounds like a gimmick to me especially at only ~200 or so dollars.

Jun 5, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Curious. Not being a tube-head...yet
wink.gif

How prone are tubes to burn-out due to power surges or fast power off/on's?

Something that requires frequent reboots like most of the home Windoze OS might be problematic, no? Definitely need a more solid OS (NT4, 2000, Linux, OS/2) to prevent that. Otherwise it could get expensive.

Most ATX motherboards don't totally remove power on a power off/on unless you pull the plug. My guess would be that this puppy uses the caps and the constat trickle to keep power to the tube in the event restarts.

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 37
Hehe.....actually I wanted to say....well, I'll be damn. But I thought some people might take offense to that....(I don't know why). Also, I thought about posting this in the equipment forums, but I didn't really know where......amps? Probably amps.....

Eh. Oh well.

check this out guys: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1023251953

Vacuum tube audio on motherboards! Now, how sweet is that?
wink.gif
3 cheers for AOpen!

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 37
Okay, this subject now definitely has the most duplicate posts...I think we're up to 7, and I only just started reading.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #35 of 37
*turns red*

.....hehe....I haven't been here for awhile. Assumed I had breaking news. Alas......I try.......

frown.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #37 of 37
I've already ordered a test sample. According to AOpen, the board will hit Germany at the end of June or the beginning of July with a retail price of ~ 230 Euro.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Can you provide me with some hints for tube-rolling-experiments, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back