Who we are and who we were
Aug 26, 2004 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever look back at life, and think of how you changed? It seems no matter how much time has passed, people become different. Looking back at the person you once were, do you think you've changed for the better? Do you ever think "I wish I were still him", or "I'm glad he's gone", or my favorite "I hate who I was, but because of him, I've learned to become the person I am". I know this all sounds stupid, but in some weird way, it makes some sense. To be honest, I'm not too concerned about who I was, but I know that learning from "him" is the best way to be who I want to be.

You guys understand what I'm trying to say. How do you feel about then and now. Have you accomplished or on the road to self-victory? The dreams, feelings, thoughts, experiences, the existance itself. Do you yearn for the old days or live for the new?

Thanks for hearing me out. And I know this thread doesn't apply to everyone, but that doesn't mean you don't have anything to say. We all have something to say, whether we know it or not.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 17
Well, I had a time a year back when I played around with marihuana and came out really changed from it, but that might have been just growing up. Sometimes still ponder what exactly changed (and why). I turned into a much more social person, with clearer thinking, (Note: not clearer when under the influence of weed, but when I stopped it for good, everything became much more sharper than before). I do not have regrets because of the change, it was mostly positive.

I sometimes feel stupid/embarrased when remembering stuff from years ago. Never hated my past self, though.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 17
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 17
When I was in high school I was a nerd and couldn´t even get a girlfriend. In college my social skills began to gradually improve. There I learnt how to make new friends, ask girls out, and handle rejection better. Today I´m light years better than who I used to be. I´d never wanna go back there.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Yeah I've learned a lot from myself and past actions. The turning point in my life was my stay in the US. I became a new person during my stay - to the better. A thing I think will be printed in my head forever is one episode; I met this Mexican guy on the bus (actually he spoke to me when we left the bus at the same spot.) He wasn't all that nice looking, with real yellow teeth and just nasty. Probably my age (16-17.) So we were both riding our bikes and he asked me if I was from this area (a trailer park where my school was) and I told him I wasn't. Inside I was laughing at him thinking I was so much better and cooler than him.
At a later point I talk to one of my older buddies and I told him about the episode and how this guy was disgusting me. As I said he was older than me, and he told me 'that people just try to get by. Nobody is trying to annoy other or be cruel or evil to other on purpose.' I've though a lot about what he told me, and the day today I still get mad at myself for how I acted. I've changed though, and try to respect everybody... at least when I don't know them. Friends of mine laugh at bums on the street but I don't join them.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 17
I've had many many "****" corporate experiences that have made me a far less caring, less talkative, and more careful person. It has taught me to be more selfish, and "look out for #1 while trying not to step in #2."
I am not a unique and special snowflake.

As anyone who's met me in person can attest, I am just a whee bit out going and talkative. I have learned to separate business from personal life. But it still makes me cautious. I am leaving the corporate grind to go it alone, as I just don't have the energy to not be myself. Which is ironic, since I am a pretty energetic person.

-Ed

Aug 27, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 17
I've defintely changed, but I fear it's for the worst. I was in tip top mental shape and happy beyond belief all up through high school. Then in college I got really stressed out throughout the four years and I'm still battling anxiety like crazy now.

It's actually pretty amazing the difference. I just hope I can get back to the way it was. Of course, that would involve eliminating the majority of responsibility in my life
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 17
lots of things have changed over this 5 years but deep inside i am still the same. still feeling lost, still trying to find myself in this f%^ked up world.

on the outside i hated my early teenage years, i was such a ignorant fool...blindly followed whatever my parents/f#$king high school/pop told me to do. now at least i have enough ba11s to tell others to get the f$#k out of my way.

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I am leaving the corporate grind to go it alone, as I just don't have the energy to not be myself. Which is ironic, since I am a pretty energetic person.

Heh, I know just what you're talking about. One of the main reasons I'm scheming to spend as little time "working" as is financially possible.

Aug 27, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm simply far too close to the subject to be objective and accurately assess. I also don't really know what I look like as the mirror is limited to being two dimensional.
plainface.gif

I think we are less different than we would lead ourselves to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back