Who Vs. Led Zeppelin
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #121 of 138
I like Zeppelin, have followed them since early 70's, have bought all their albums (8-tracks, cassettes).  Yes, some argue they are actually a blues band that plays rock too.  A lotta good stuff.  Just loved Physical Graffitti, Precense, In Through The Outdoor, Song Remains....#1, #4...

But here's the way I see it.  Jimmy Page....he is a good/great guitarist when he is not doped up  (which was too often, so much wasted talent)  but even straight he is not a God or anything like that....just one of the best...Top 10.    Plant....well...he sings...just like Roger Daltrey sings too....and like The Who...bass and drummer are very good but not Gods.  Call it a draw.

But I take the creativity and chemistry between Daltrey and Townsend WAAAAY over Plant/Page  as the criteria that makes The Who the better band.  Dats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #122 of 138
Seen them both, back in the late 60s. Live, on balance I take the Who. On record, tough call. I mean, Zep was my HS band of choice, but the The Who, Live at Leeds/Hull. Something amazing. My view is live,The Who trumps. Studio recordings, have to favor Zep. But this is like choosing between Lincoln and FDR. Not fair, but fun.

In terms of creativity, maybe The Who. Townsend is a genius.

You are very fortunate to have seen both live, and back in the 60's! It's too bad listening to Kashmir doesn't teleport one back through time :wink:

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #123 of 138
I like the who and think they are great band but for me Led Zeppelin takes the cake by a good margin. To me they are more talented and they're music is just deeper while still having a great range of variety. I have to admit though I'm not as familar with The Who as Led Zeppelin so my opinion might be a bit biased.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #124 of 138
Not tough for me at all. I own every Zep album on vinyl as well as digital formats. I have one Who album that I've never even given a spin.

Zep, by far.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #125 of 138
Not sure who to vote really. At some point in time I would vote for Led; then I'd vote for The Who... it just wiggles as years go by. I keep coming back for both to this day. Amazing Classics!

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #127 of 138
I love The Who....but no contest for me...Zep any day of the week. I own all of their albums and listen to Zep like 4:1 over The Who. 
size]

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #128 of 138
Quote:
I like Zeppelin, have followed them since early 70's, have bought all their albums (8-tracks, cassettes).  Yes, some argue they are actually a blues band that plays rock too.  A lotta good stuff.  Just loved Physical Graffitti, Precense, In Through The Outdoor, Song Remains....#1, #4...

But here's the way I see it.  Jimmy Page....he is a good/great guitarist when he is not doped up  (which was too often, so much wasted talent)  but even straight he is not a God or anything like that....just one of the best...Top 10.    Plant....well...he sings...just like Roger Daltrey sings too....and like The Who...bass and drummer are very good but not Gods.  Call it a draw.

But I take the creativity and chemistry between Daltrey and Townsend WAAAAY over Plant/Page  as the criteria that makes The Who the better band.  Dats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. 
popcorn.gif

The bassist and drummer of both bands are good, but not gods? 
blink.gif
 Get real.....they are incredible in both bands.

As to my preference, I favor Zep over the Who, but both bands are excellent.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #131 of 138
Today, I’d lean toward Zeppelin ‘cause I’ve just synched a bunch of their stuff onto MP3 player (esp. from Physical Graffiti). If history proves out, I’ll likely be pushing and listening to a bunch of Who songs at some point in the future again. The Who are great. I’ve seen them twice in concert and both performances were amazing. Never saw Zep live unfortunately.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #132 of 138
Well .... Where to start?

I have been lurking here for many years now. For some reason this thread made me register.
My first thought is that this is not a fair question, both are great!
But then from the depths of my subconscious came the feeling of certainty that The Who is clearly the better, no matter what metric you might use.

So there you are, my response to this thread :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #133 of 138
Quote:
Well .... Where to start?

I have been lurking here for many years now. For some reason this thread made me register.
My first thought is that this is not a fair question, both are great!
But then from the depths of my subconscious came the feeling of certainty that The Who is clearly the better, no matter what metric you might use.

So there you are, my response to this thread :)

I respectfully disagree. That being said, welcome to the forum!

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #135 of 138
Ive owned everything of both bands for many years now and always liked The Who best. I tried to like Robert Plant but couldn't. He's like a bird that won't shut up. Keith Moon is awesome and Tommy is on my top ten. My fav Zeppelin album is III and isn't really even in my top 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back