Who uses Q-tips?
Apr 27, 2012 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
In your ears I mean of course... I was just reading this article about the most misused items and Q-tips were number 1.  I know it says on the box not to put them in the ear canal, but leaving all that wax in there would annoy me.  Just curious thinking if you guys ever worry that you'll kill your ears haha.  I thought if any community would care about ear health it'd be us, so figured I'd see what you all thought on the subject.  No way I'm changing my regimen now, but curious on your input.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 14
I stopped using IEMs and I don't have nearly as much wax in my ears as I used to, so I have no need for them now.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Using Q-tips inside your ears is a bad idea, as you can actually push the wax deeper into the ear canal. There are better alternatives.

Pharmacies sell ear cleaning tools which consist of plastic scoops and loops of plastic. These are better than Q-tips due to the way they extract the wax (scooping and pulling versus pushing). They're actually designed to mimic the tools ENT doctors use to professionally clean ears. Just be careful not to use too much force or go too deep, as you can scratch the inside of your ear. You shouldn't put ANYTHING into your ears too deeply (be it a Q-tip, loop, finger, whatever) as it could lead to an ear infection.

If you have a substantial amount of wax build up, you may want to consider buying a cleaning kit that uses eardrops. These are usually some formulation of hydrogen peroxide. This will soften and break up the wax, and you can then flush your ears with water or use the plastic loops to remove any remaining wax.

If you find your ears are STILL clogged after that, it's best to go see an ENT doctor who can professionally remove the wax. It's usually a quick and painless procedure (especially if you've already softened it with the hydrogen peroxide).

You'd be surprised how good your music will sound after giving your ears a good cleaning.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 14
I used Q tips to clean my ears, doctor recommended to use Hydrogen peroxide instead. 

A friend who use them had an infection. Not a good idea. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 14
I use the cotton tipped (wooden) sticks used in electronics repair. The hollow plastic shafts on qtips collapse too easily.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Yea peroxide is what I've been told as well, we have some kind of thingy that drops the stuff inside you ears but I can't remember where! Which reminds me my ears have been botherin me >.> they may need a cleaning!

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I haven't always used Q-Tips to clean my ears, but I have been for awhile now.
redface.gif
Lately I have also been using Murine because I have had trouble with buildup in my right ear for a long time.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 14
I have a big problem with wax build up. 6-8 times a year I have to clear out my ears because the wax has made me near deaf in either ear.

I use peroxide first to loosen it all up but the thing that really does the trick is a water pick. Same thing my doctor used the first time I experienced the deafness (and it scared the living crap out of me).

May 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 14
I have been using q-tips after a shower for the past 42 years and have never had one problem of sore, infected or damaged ears.  I used to have a wax build-up problem from time to time, but since using q-tips not once.  

I had new impressions made a couple of weeks ago and after the audiologist had looked into my ears, I asked if they were clean and she said, yes.  I told her I had been using q-tips for over 40 years and she told me that was not a good thing to do.  Well, after inspection, coming out clean and having no problems for 40+ years, what exactly is wrong with using q-tips, I ask?  Now, I am gentle; yes I go into the beginning of the canal, twist only one way and the extract.

May 2, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 14
A lot of it depends on the type of wax your ears produce. If it's sticky, then q-tips may successfully extract what's there (assuming the cotton doesn't just pull away from the stick and stay in your ear like some brands can). However if you have harder, flaky wax then a q-tip isn't going to do much except push it deeper. Also not everyone produces the same amount of wax: some barely manufacture any while others make a ton of the stuff quickly. Q-tips would be most successful for a smaller amount of wax closer to the ear's opening. Deeper and more plentiful wax however is best handled with hydrogen peroxide + flushing or a scooping mechanism.

May 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 14
At least once a day and usually twice. Was at the audiologist for some impressions a couple of weeks ago and was told my ears look fine. I think that is what she said, hearings not so good. JK, my hearing is great!

May 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 14
I use Q-tips to clean my ear from earwax since I was little. I only do it after showering or when my ears are still wet. That way (hopefully) I don't push dry ear waxes deeper, rather than to wipe the wet ones. I don't insert Q-tips deeply though. I even got a bad experience when using Q-tips. One day, the tip got stuck inside my ears because of my bad habit soaking the tips on cajuput oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back