Who uses head-fi?
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #46 of 55
An audiophile, from Latin audio[1] "I hear" and Greek philos[2] "loving," is a hobbyist who seeks high-quality audio reproduction via the use of specialized high-end audio electronics

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #47 of 55

Quote:
An audiophile, from Latin audio[1] "I hear" and Greek philos[2] "loving," is a hobbyist who seeks high-quality audio reproduction via the use of specialized high-end audio electronics

I guess you agree with me then lol

My interpretation of that term is someone who strives for the absolute best in audio equipment and sound quality, not someone who just enjoys music.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #48 of 55
The members system allows him to love music with specialized high-end audio electronics. I just think high end is a matter of relativity. Most people who have made a membership here are what I would call audiophile, regardless of cost put out.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #49 of 55
I was an audiophile when I was 12. My equipment didn't cost much, but I cared. That's all I'm getting at.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #51 of 55
If the thought ever occurred to you, even when you were 12 and listening to the most atrocious equipment imaginable, "could this sound better; should this sound better?", then you are an audiophile.

I'm in my 50's, and I've always been an audiophile.  I've never been able to afford to indulge it, but that makes no difference. I was dissatisfied with virtually every speaker, receiver, turntable, disc player or headphone I've ever owned. I still am. I probably will always be.

Unless you are obscenely rich, being an audiophile is being doomed to a life of aural frustration. Being an audiophile is being a utopian.  The search for sonic nirvana is never ending.  Might as well accept it. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #52 of 55
Audiophile to me is irrespective of low end or high end, or anything like that. To me it that the person seeks to hear music in the best way possible with the available funds or circumstances (apartment so no big speakers, etc). That said the person doesn't have to spend every cent he owns, but whatever is reasonable. The big point is not to settle for what you are given, always strive to hear it better. An audiophile doesn't have to be in regards to gear either. A non-tech way of being an audiophile would be getting center seats at the symphony instead of on the side because it sounds better, or preferring one jazz club over another because the acoustics are better.

I do think that it goes beyond simply enjoying music.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #53 of 55
Agreed with Maxvla. I once sat in a newly-renovated cinema and the moment the pre-show ads rolled, I knew I'd got tickets too far back: the sweet spot for the sound was clearly somewhere further in front.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #54 of 55
Much of my audio gear was hand me downs from friends. I made different combos for a couple of years until I hit on a bi-amped system which was really cobbled together but had the sound I was looking for. I added the matching sub and was able to get the speaker placement correct away from the wall with the correct tilt in and speaker stands. For me after many years of being an "audiophile" it was a small but well loved break. I feel If you don't have money it depends on tenacity and luck. I just didn't give up. It also helps to be around people who know more than you do and have better systems than you do. I'm talking about a speaker rig here. Headphones can be easer to get better sound.

If a kid starts taking his $15.00 headphones apart and breaks a couple then tweeks a new pair to a place better than the sound the $15.00 headphones were at,  I feel it makes him an audiophile. If he saves some lunch money to get Re0 IEMs it makes him an audiophile. Sure it's frustrating. I feel most things in life worth striving for are hard. The easy way is to feel good about your gear and to enjoy it for what ever level your at knowing you did all you know how. I love seeing people at shows who are showing off their rigs. If they are middle class folks they sacrificed a lot and are at the end of a long road. They deserve any great comments they get. Even if I am not sure I like the sound signature I still respect what they have done. This level of competition is good for Head-Fi. I would say it is a contest. At the same time many need to be more open minded as to what folks are going for in a sound. There seems to be groups of folks who all think the same way and bind together believing that the sound signature and process at which they are arriving at it is elite. The truth is better learned from folks who try and learn from each system and look for the potential that is offered.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #55 of 55
I'm under the age of 30, and while I take this hobby seriously (I don't blow my money on things without serious consideration), I HOPE to get-in ----> get-out: Audiophila is expensive, and it seems apparent that striving for better and better quality equates to diminishing returns. I'm spending ~$1000 in an above-average portable rig, then I hope to have the good sense to stay as far away from Head-Fi as possible. I say this because of my addictive personality, and I just *know* that if I browse through anymore 'appreciation threads' or reviews about new headphones/amps/IEMs/DAPs my wallet will drop another $1k before I know it.

On one hand I feel like I'm effectively leeching from the community's knowledge, yet, on the other I consider that Head-Fi has successfully been a catalyst for personal audio over-indulgence, and has thus pumped the market with $1k that it previously wouldn't have, without intervention. In that regard, I can leave Head-Fi guiltless; I've contributed towards the continuity of this very niche market. Also, I now have to actually *buy* music for the rest of my life, to keep up with my rig, which I guess I should have done anyway.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back