Who uses earplugs to sleep?
Mar 17, 2003 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Just recently, ive started using earplugs to help me go to sleep. it really works. Before, due to the water heater that is outside my dorms...it takes at least 30 minutes for me to fall asleep. It makes me crazy sometime.

And finally, i started using earplugs. At first i thought its weird...who would use earplugs to sleep? But lo and behold...now the past few days i can get into sleep in maybe under 10 minutes.

I also found these earplugs are perfect for studying in the dorms when its so so so noisy. I just started using it for studying purposes today. My roommates just dont care about me..hahahhaha, they make such loud noises and talk loud. Even when i have the things on...i still can hear them. I at first thought because they were so loud thats why the sound passes through my foamie plugs. The box says that it has a 29db reduction rate.

When im using these little things, im wondering why i can hear my self typing? i can still hear minute sounds of my fingers tapping the boardboard. OR is it because typing is LOUDER than 29db? its just puzzling for me. Is it because the plugs are no good? Is it because of the fit? Weird, these things do totally block the outside 'humming' machinery noises (lower frequency sounds). I noticed that with high frequency sounds, these things dont block it well. Do earplugs in general block out higher frequency sounds? I really want something that can totally block out tv sounds.
biggrin.gif

So is this how its suppose to be with most foam ear plugs?
These things are expensive too, 10 pairs for $4.50......eck.

Whats a good brand/model?

I am using Mack's SafeSound Soft Foam earplugs, the blue-ish color one.

There were so many choices in Walgreens, from foam, wax, etc. didnt know which kind is good. so i went with Mack's (it had that GoodHousekeeping logo on it so i chose this one) How about the Flents brand? I wonder why, i can still hear people talking with these things.

(i dont mind spending money on getting some QUIET time, its really worth it actually when i get peace and quiet)

Mar 17, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 44
i do use them...but they are adictive...after a month or so i have to really force myself to not using then for a while, otherwise i will never be able to sleep without them...( i know people in that situation...)

i use the ones you have in the second post...really nice..they have the highest db cancelling ranking...i think...

m.

team earplug !

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 44
for the finest in noise-blocking with an even spectrum, you may be interested in the etymotic er-20. however, the er-20 is NOT meant to block out all noise -- it is meant for musicians seeking the ability to effectively decrease noise levels while maintaining clarity and neutrality. they are also pretty expensive... much more so than your foamies ($12 per pair). i've found these indespensible for loud concerts and my african drumming music ensemble. just thought you might be interested -- these won't block out all noise and are not intended to.

etymotic er-20: http://www.etymotic.com/

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
i do use them...but they are adictive...after a month or so i have to really force myself to not using then for a while, otherwise i will never be able to sleep without them...( i know people in that situation...)

i use the ones you have in the second post...really nice..they have the highest db cancelling ranking...i think...

m.

team earplug !

Maybe i will have to get those then, one for studies and one for sleeping.

I dont think i can return my Mack's since im using one pair already. Can I?

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 44
And eatting with earplugs on, heheehhe, feels like the movie 'Being John Malcovich'.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
Maybe i will have to get those then, one for studies and one for sleeping.

I dont think i can return my Mack's since im using one pair already. Can I?

I doubt you'll be able to return them..

I use Howard Leight Super Leight. They have a rating up to 33dB reduced.. and they work great. Only $2 a box.. [but you gotta pay shipping.. I know they have free shipping promotions every so often, though.. but if you gotta get other stuff, too, this is a great option.]

Howard Leight Super Leight

Mar 17, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 44
For sleeping, I recommend Mack's "Pillow Soft" silicone earplugs. They're just balls of silicone. Not quite as much noise reduction as the foam ones, but much more comfortable for sleeping, and won't fall out by rubbing against your pillow.

Mar 17, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
For sleeping, I recommend Mack's "Pillow Soft" silicone earplugs. They're just balls of silicone. Not quite as much noise reduction as the foam ones, but much more comfortable for sleeping, and won't fall out by rubbing against your pillow.

I rather like them falling out rubbing against my pillow. I generally fall asleep facing my ceiling, but they're usually out in the morning, which is a good thing.. How else would I hear the alarm?..

Mar 17, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Howard Leight Super Leight

I found these to be the most comfortable of all the foamies I've tried. I have some Mack brand right now, and they kind of hurt every time I use them. Those Howard Leights are awesome since the are shaped closer to the contours of my ears. I used those for over 8 hours before without a single problem.

When working around jets and things in the Navy you have to wear a pair of these PLUS a pair of mickey mouse ears. (Not the kind from Disney either.) That's LOUD.

Mar 17, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 44
I just found out that Savon sells these Howard Leight's for only $1.49 per box of 10. That's 50 cents less per box than I've seen anywhere else.

http://www.sav-ondrugs.com/default.asp

Do a search on the words Howard Leight to find them.

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 44
I have to use ear plugs because I an extremely light sleeper. I find that the orange dense foam like the Leights are too stiff on my ears and my ears get very sore after using them night after night. I use the ones that are just yellow or white cylinders (don't know why but ear plugs generally are the same colors for the different types). These don't hold their shape that long but I find it's much easier on my ears.

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 44
I sleep a lot during the day and especially my former neighbors made a lot of noise so I used earplugs a lot.
But now my earcanals are irritated. Sometimes I still need them and it hurts.
frown.gif

They're yellow foamies called E.A.R. and they block out sound very well. But after you've washed them a couple of times they let sounds trough a bit more.

I never tried to block out TV but they block out drilling and hammering when it's not too close (e.g. in the next room).

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 44
I use a tapered foam plug for sleeping. I find that they allow me to go to sleep faster and less disturbs my sleep.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I just found out that Savon sells these Howard Leight's for only $1.49 per box of 10. That's 50 cents less per box than I've seen anywhere else.

http://www.sav-ondrugs.com/default.asp

Do a search on the words Howard Leight to find them.

nice find, doug! i just ordered two packs. sometimes my roomies like to blast their music out of their mid-bass-humped minisystems... at 3:00am! i like my roomies, so this would be a good solution. unfortunately, the service charge of 3.95 is almost double the price of 2 packages of the product!
eek.gif
still, not a bad deal, all things considered (especially since the ety er-20's cost $15 a pop, after shipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back