Who used Burson Audio wonder?
Oct 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
Oct 8, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 19
I don't see the point. If you wanted a descrete solution why not either build one like say the Dynalo (which is an opamp technically), or pick a discete solution that does not use global negative feedback to try something completely different!

Replaceing a opamp on a chip, with an opamp built by someone out of discrete components rates about a 2/10 on my DIY-o-metre, even if you do add the feedback resistors to it.

Bonus marks for putting them in a PPA or something like that though
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Will they be well suited for driving headphones directly?
confused.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 19
I've always been curious about these myself. A few people who are straight-shooter seem to like them but I can't quite figure out what makes them different from any other discrete buffer? Seems like you could DIY something like that for $30 or so.

There impedance chart is interesting though.... Anyone have a comment on it? Is output impedance really that key to CDP sound? My EE background isn't the best, but this does seem interesting.

Edit: Ooops... I was actually referencing the external version of this (here: http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson%20HDAM%20Buffer.htm) I think it is the same thing though, just with a seperate PSU. Anyway, it has a chart which suggests that impedance is a key difference between high end and low end CDPs...

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Ummm that site you linked to now has completely turned me off their products. It is clear they either don't know what they are talking about or are talking crap to get you to buy their products.

The two key arguements here is output impedance matters when driving headphones, many of us know this here. However when driving an amplifier with 50k input impedance, what's the difference? Calculate the power losses, and the voltages and you will see that there is a negligable difference. I've used resistors on the output before to lower the volume of a signal, and there was no squashed dynamics or anything.

The other problem I have with it is the line: "Most mid range CD players priced below $2000 (even some over) will have a very simple output stage with nothing more than a pair of Op-amps. That will result in higher output impedance" which is completely wrong. The high output impedance of the units will have nothing to do with the opamps. Once you apply feedback output impedance of anything within the feedback loop becomes negligable. Look at the datasheets and you'll see the OPA2604 used in both the NAD players he listed does not have an output impedance that high.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 19
There is a thread over at DIYAudio that details how these guys take the exact same parts made by a chinese firm, relabel them, and increase the price 1000%.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a thread over at DIYAudio that details how these guys take the exact same parts made by a chinese firm, relabel them, and increase the price 1000%.

Can you pointed us at the corresponding thread? Thanks!

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 19
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

A very common upgrade amongst ZERO DAC users, I myself have two (OPA-Earth / OPA-Sun), and they have yet another (newer) model, OPA-Moon.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 19
if you're going to spend that much money, might as well just have it modded with a new analog stage, not just a friggin 'discrete opamp'. i havent heard it myself so who knows but i wouldnt bother. there are plenty of good opamps out there if you want to roll. i like opa2604(natural) and tle2082(lively)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back