who thinks the hd650's are the best?
Jun 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spiderking31

100+ Head-Fier
I would love to hear feedback on what you guys think of the sennheiser hd650's....I have a little dot mk3 tube amp, and moon-audio blue dragon v3 cable...would love to hear every ones thoughts on these headphones, and....also only playing music through CD player :)

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 11
The HD650s are great (smooth, warm, emotional), but you would be better off using the search bar to research about them. There should literally be hundreds of threads that talk about them along with comparisons.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 11
The "new version" of the HD650's, "de-veiled, with a silver cable... and... a high impedence, high voltage amp, which has enough power to drive them properly... are... about as good as it gets - very comparable to any of the so-called "high-end" phones.  Configured in that manner, they sound a lot like the better Grados, or the AD2000's - which is superb!

So... IF... you plan to configure them in that manner - you will be very pleased... and... know there is not anything that is much better.  I've compared them to most, and can attest to that.  

IF NOT... then... you need to get some other phones that don't require all of that to sound their best.  Those would be Grados, ATH-AD2000's, Denon D-5000's / 7000's (with the Markl Mods), etc.  

Now... you can search for the HD650 threads for the complete explanation of all of that.  

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 11
I apologize tm....but I just wanted to know if having the blue dragon v3 will qualify my headphones as being some of the best out there....like I said, little dot mk3 tube amp, blue dragon v3, and sennheiser hd650's with CD player....just wanted to know what people think of my setup.. If it's a great or not...

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 11
I have had the hd600 with LD MK3, which I sold due to other priorities but have recently returned to this hobby. I picked up a pair of HD650 on ebay and still have my LD amp and many different tubes. To be frank, I'm disappointed with this combination. The HD650 are more congested, lacking highs and have a smaller soundstage in comparison to the HD600. I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150s, which are half a cost of new HD650s and can be had for around 70£ used on ebay and they are nearly on par with the HD650s resolution wise but are more intimate and musically involving due to the closed back design - even the soundstage is larger! The HD600s are superior to both of these cans.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 11
casperry, I must admit....I got the hd650's, with upgraded driver tubes, which are the GE Jan5654W tubes, and I'm in audio Nirvana....was just listening to my hd595's, and can't stand the sound! But, each his own I guess...but the upgraded tubes are military spec tubes also :)
But thanks for at least sharing though!

Spiderking31....

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 11
I also had the HD595 and do agree that the HD650 is on a different level. I liked the HD595 mids though, vocals were very lifelike but they resolved less detail and were bit muddy. I have tried different and well regarded tubes here on head fi but they account maybe for the last 20-25% of shaping the sound, at the end of the day it's just a slightly different flavour you get. If you enjoy the music then don't change a thing because once you have heard a better combo, equipment etc. there is no returning back and it gets costly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back