Who thinks the D66 Eggos are Bass-shy?
Sep 7, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 24
the d66 are not bass-shy imo. if they have a flaw it is not resolving enough instrument separation during complex music. besides that they are fairly inoffensive cans that work well with a wide variety of music and sony minidisc. ideally they should be priced at about us$40.

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
What? No way. I know that only personal opinions are offered on this site, but this statement is way off.

My D66 - WITH the tape mod - have less bass than my Grados (stock pads). The bass on the SR-60s is tighter and more pronounced.

But I still love the D66…the perfect portable headphone.

Too bad they fell out of favor on this site. I guess the HD25 is the current flavor of the month (just like the D66 where about a year ago).

I had the Grados for about 6 months, 3 of those with the D-66 to compare. The amount of bass for the Grado and D-66 was equal in my opinion. By that I mean the same bass notes were pronounced at the same volume between each can. The type of bass was however different. The Grados had a more full and richer bass, while the D-66 seemed to compact the bass.

Sep 8, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 24
The D77s are still better, i think the D77s are a mix of the D22 and the D66.

The D22s have a little better bass then the D66 but the D66 have a little better highs. The D77s good on both sides. I wish i could find a new set.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #20 of 24
I think the bass is clear and tight but the lower midrange seems rolled off and there seems to be an emphasis on the treble, giving the impression of a lack of bass. They sound pretty clear to me but a bit honky. I've used a 120 ohm adapter with them and a decent amp to good effect. It seems to tame the treble and remove the honkiness.

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

I think the bass is clear and tight but the lower midrange seems rolled off and there seems to be an emphasis on the treble, giving the impression of a lack of bass.

I had this same impression in stock form. I did the cotton ball mod and now everything seemed to have smoothed out. This is a rather nice set of headphones but if I had one wish, it would be to somehow increase the clarity a bit. Not saying that this headphones sounds veiled or anything but adding just a bit of crispness would put these in another league.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockysDad
I did the cotton ball mod and now everything seemed to have smoothed out.

Oh yeah, I did that too, and it did help. Really, the 120 ohm adapter works well. I got it for $15 from Meier Audio. Great little tweak. I actually got it for my DT 931. I'd love to hear someone else's impression using it with the Eggos though. I just want to make sure it's not some kind of placebo effect.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #23 of 24
If you think the D66 is bass shy you really would hate "Ety-bass", basically tight bass you can hear but feel none of. I prefer it to some extent because the Ety's have a purpose to serve, which is detail. If the bass was overpowering it would slide the detail out of the situation.

I think the D66 has enough bass that you can feel slightly (but hear very accuratly.) It is not overpowering but it sure is adequet enough for a decent portable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back