Who thinks the D66 Eggos are Bass-shy?
Sep 1, 2004 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dza

New Head-Fier
I don't... Sounds pretty freaking good to me right now
eggosmile.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 24
I have 3 pair, D22, D66 and the D77 i like them better then the sennheiser HD-280s but the 280s are slowly improving. The eggos are really comfortable and i dont think they sound bad right out of the box. I dont like the fuzzy pads on the D66 though, i changed em with the D22s are like leather or somthing.

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 24
IMHO, the D66 Eggos are not bass shy..........they are the most balanced sounding under $100 headphone out there. At least, I haven't heard anything more balanced. Anyone who hears these things hooked up to something like an old school Sharp portable MD player and says they're bass shy could definitely be called a bass head.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't think they're bass shy. They are very similar to the e3c IMO. I like the bass of them, it's there, you can hear it rather than feel it, one might say.

I hope you get lots of ejoyment out of them.
-Rasmus

Sep 1, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 24
i agree the D66 eggos are a pair of really balanced headphones under $100. from the headphone out of my D-777 PCDP, they sound really classy, with nice, tight bass.

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
What some people called bass shy, others call it a tight bass
wink.gif

Unless you've heard other headphones which have more bass and sound tighter...or a system in general. D66s have light bass and get nasty when pushed really hard with bass. You can add bass by putting some tissues in the chambers, but it doesn't fix it. Also, I like my pads flipped inside-out, there's a pleather-type surface on the inside which doesn't itch.

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 24
D66, bass-shy? No. But the bass wasn't that great.

I had mine for a good while and IMHO they are a wee-bit bass shy. Amp or unamped.

Comparing them to other phones.

Grado SR-60, D66 really laidback comparitively, bass was about equal.
Etymotic ER-6, D66 were less detailed.
Beyerdynamic D770, D66 had way less bass as expected and were more laidback.
Akg 240S, About the same level of bass but the 240S had more detail.

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 24
I think they just have a different kind of bass than other phones and it's not as obvious. After using the Sennheiser HD25-1, I can reflect on how different Eggo bass is. It's not any worse, just appropriate for different moods and music types.

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 24
Compared to the Eggos D77 IMO they were a little on the light side. That's not to say that the D66's by themselves don't have bass. They do have as mentioned earlier a tight bass, not the in your face body shaking type of bass.

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Bass light? Yes and no. A little bit lighter in bass than the average good headphone, yes, but horribly deficient in bass, no, not by a long shot. The K501 and HD280 now those are bass light phones. But really in the grand scheme of things the D66 are not all that light in the bass department especially compared to the other high end phones like the CD3000, K501 and DT880. The problem is that the D66 are lighter in the bass than most other well respect phones in their price range which makes them sound (espeically to newbies ears) light in the bass.

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1lexure

Grado SR-60, D66 really laidback comparitively, bass was about equal.

What? No way. I know that only personal opinions are offered on this site, but this statement is way off.

My D66 - WITH the tape mod - have less bass than my Grados (stock pads). The bass on the SR-60s is tighter and more pronounced.

But I still love the D66…the perfect portable headphone.

Too bad they fell out of favor on this site. I guess the HD25 is the current flavor of the month (just like the D66 where about a year ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back