Who thinks rock guitar virtuosos are dull?
Mar 5, 2007 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

fordgtlover

Headphoneus Supremus
I went along to see Joe Satriani many years ago and fell asleep - it was at an indoor conservatorium with comfortable seat - what's a guy to do.

Over the years I've seen many of these guitar virtuosos and while I love music I find many of them quite boring to watch. With their respective bands they truly rock, but drop the stage lights and crank the spot on the virtuoso and I tune out for a few minutes (or 10), until they finish and the band starts up.

What do others think - guitar virtuosos: Are they entertainment or self indulgent widdlers?

This is not limited to lead guitarists either.

And please no comments about my selction of term for the pluralisation of virtuoso.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went along to see Joe Satriani many years ago and fell asleep - it was at an indoor conservatorium with comfortable seat - what's a guy to do.

Over the years I've seen many of these guitar virtuosos and while I love music I find many of them quite boring to watch. With their respective bands they truly rock, but drop the stage lights and crank the spot on the virtuoso and I tune out for a few minutes (or 10), until they finish and the band starts up.

What do others think - guitar virtuosos: Are they entertainment or self indulgent widdlers?

This is not limited to lead guitarists either.

And please no comments about my selction of term for the pluralisation of virtuoso.

I guess I'm not sure why you singled out guitarists from every other possible solo instrumentalist. Is it any solo virtuoso that puts you to sleep, or just the guitar. Do you need a louder sound (such as in a sax or trumpet)? What about a classical pianist or violinist?

Maybe you need the variety (or beat) of several instruments together, or maybe you need to hear vocals????

If I listen to any peaceful music (solo or not), I will zone out.

I just need to know more about your problem, I guess.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 54
The Shrink is on the case!

biggrin.gif

I could say that if it's music I enjoy, I'm all over it like white on rice. If the music is completely off my screen, I could possibly appreciate the technical skill, but more than likely I'd be looking for the Exit sign.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 54
I agree with you totally. Players who want to show off their technical skills at the expense of connecting with the audience lose my attention quickly. Someone playing scales with 128th notes is interesting for a few seconds for the novelty. Someone who imbues their notes with emotion can make music that's interesting for a lifetime. Which isn't to say that there aren't a very few people who can do both - but it you're only going to have one, I'll take passion in the playing over cold, technical skill.

And for some reason guitar virtuosos seem to be the worst offenders. Plenty of guys (are they all guys - seems like it) who can rip a guitar to shreds without holding my attention. Give me BB King bending a string and breaking my heart any day.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 54
For me, the idea of the "guitar virtuoso" is a mixed bag. If you are referring to the metal/rock virtuoso of the 80's and 90's - then I would say, that for the most part they are boring. I don't care much for Petrucci and Vai, but that doesn't mean I don't like some of their songs - such as Vai's "For the Love of God."

However, Eric Johnson is a bit of an anomaly - he has the virtuoso speed, but his choice of guitars (vintage Fender Strat through vintage Marshall/Fender amps) and his melodies are anything but boring.

And then there are guitar virtuosos in jazz - like Django, Les Paul, & Wes Montgomery who are exciting to listen to.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 38special /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the idea of the "guitar virtuoso" is a mixed bag. If you are referring to the metal/rock virtuoso of the 80's and 90's - then I would say, that for the most part they are boring. I don't care much for Petrucci and Vai, but that doesn't mean I don't like some of their songs - such as Vai's "For the Love of God."

However, Eric Johnson is a bit of an anomaly - he has the virtuoso speed, but his choice of guitars (vintage Fender Strat through vintage Marshall/Fender amps) and his melodies are anything but boring.

And then there are guitar virtuosos in jazz - like Django, Les Paul, & Wes Montgomery who are exciting to listen to.

I agree with this - it depends on who it is. But I get bored when there is quantity and not quality.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 54
I agree that self-indulgent virtuosity is a bore and, really, not what I like about Rock in the first place. I'll be the first to admit that I love virtuosity where warranted, but unless I feel something from it, I could care less.

With other genres of music (Jazz especially, as mentioned), it's a different story altogether, but with the exception of Progressive Rock, skill always takes a back seat to creativity and passion in Rock and Roll for me.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 54
I find it interesting that this thread is coming up when G3 is on tour.

For starters I'm going, and the only reason I am going is to catch Paul Gilbert play. I find that Satch does get a bit boring after a bit, initially its all pumped up and stuff, but once the song moves ahead, its not that good. Same with Steve Vai, but vai does this occasional wailing thing to wake you up :p

Petrucci on the other hand, is not that boring IMO. His songs are more progressive, and has more musicality than showmanship. And mike portnoy keeps things going on the drums

Paul Gilbert if you ask me is the best virtuoso guitarist around. His songs actually have a tune, and his solos are more melodic than just brrrashfonfwoefnsfkjnlfkjnowijfowlsnlgksnslksnfgwn glwkfstuen teeeuuunn!

Can't wait to catch him Live on 17th!

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
his solos are more melodic than just brrrashfonfwoefnsfkjnlfkjnowijfowlsnlgksnslksnfgwn glwkfstuen teeeuuunn!

lol

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 54
I can't really lump guitar virtuosos into one general category like that. It depends on the individual player.

Guys like Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen put me to sleep, while guys like Rusty Cooly just piss me off due to their incessant obscenity. Then there are guys like Bumblefoot (Ron Thal), Mattias IA Eklundh, Ron Jarzombek, Todd Duane, and others who have bizzare approaches to the instrument and share a very strict "music must be fun" mentality - guys like these are the polar opposite of dull. Then there's Allan Holdsworth and his ilk... not at all dull.

Virtuosity can be a great thing when employed properly. Just steer clear of G3... there's far more to it than those guys.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 54
i like the virtuosi that can really shred it up when need be, but are also capable of other difficult stuff- listen to the final solo on Tornado Of Souls by Megadeth. it doesn't sound as hard as shredding, but rubato is really hard when playing that fast... and interesting. i like virtuosi that explore the limits of the instrument, NOT just play scales really fast. as already stated in this topic, bididididiidododoododdawahewahbaCHING gets boring after a few minutes. still, i can appreciate shredding every once in a while. (Dream Theater - In The Name Of God comes to mind)

you know what's REALLY boring? bass virtuosos. i'm sorry but sometimes i can't stand live Flecktones stuff with Victor Wooten going all crazy on bass. control yourself, man, that's what made Entwhistle and Squire so great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back