Who thinks Dr. Dre doesn't actually listen to Beats?
Sep 6, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 23
  They appear to be Audio Technica ATH-M50, though there's some strange lighting occurring around the headband.

I second this looks just like them

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 23
Anybody happen to know exactly when (how long ago) that pic was taken?

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 23
  I think it was around 2004. I have seen a video on youtube that Dr dre still use ATH M50X in studio with Kendrick Lamar, but i cannot remember the title of that video.

Lol so I guess the ultimate point here is that even AFTER "studio" headphones from Beats/Monster became a thing, Dr. Dre still kept using the M50x in the studio.  Meaning that he has no actual confidence in his own products for studio use or accurate sound.  Hilarious!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 23
im sure there are people who like beats headphones. different people like different sound tuning. i dont like beats headphones much, i had beats pro headphone, beats solo hd and beats tour 2, was good. but after a while didnt see nothing special about them.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 23
im sure there are people who like beats headphones. different people like different sound tuning. i dont like beats headphones much, i had beats pro headphone, beats solo hd and beats tour 2, was good. but after a while didnt see nothing special about them. i think my favorite earphone right now is pioneer cx8 it has a fun disco sound.

The issues with Beats (with the exception of the Solo 2, not the first Solo though) isn't just the tuning, but also the DISTORTION.  It's not just that they have incredibly boosted bass. . .there are some basshead audiophiles who have no issue with that.  The problem is that the bass is super muddy, loose, and distorted. . .just rumbly and awful sounding, like someone farting loudly right into my ear canals, LMAO.  It's fine for bass to be heavy, btu there's no reason for it to be SLOPPY in the process!  Harmonic distortion at such high levels is really just inexcusable in closed-back headphones.

Just look at the sub-bass distortion in the measurements for the Beats Studio: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsStudio.pdf

See how it approaches something like 7% or higher down at 20Hz?  That is AWFUL!  Meanwhile, what the freaking hell is going on with that impulse-response and with those messed-up looking square-waves, man?  And for headphones that are supposed to be bass-heavy, the actual EXTENSION of the sub-bass is awful, with a HUGE dip between 30Hz and 20Hz.  All of these things are absolutely inexcusable considering that those headphones were priced at something like over 300 dollars when they came out!   Not to mention the flimsy build made from the crappiest of generic plastic that the company could possibly find.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #22 of 23
There's a photoshopped version of that pic with him wearing Beats. No idea what he's wearing in the original image.

I previously owned the M50's and there's no way that can be those. The cup size for the M50 is around 20% smaller than what appears in the picture, plus the headband looks different.  Don't know what he's actually using though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back