Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Dec 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #107 of 652

Quote:
now i don't know what to choose, hd650 or sa5k

i have a crack amp about to arrive, if that help me to choose my HPs?

For what genres of music? The SA5k is a specialty phone. The HD650 will do MANY more genres better than the 5k. Unless you've heard the 5k, I would probably recommend the HD650, it's a much safer bet. Unless you listen solely to classical...

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #108 of 652
By the way, have I ever mentioned to you guys that I listen to electronic music on my SA5000's with a 10" sub? That sounds WICKED, folks. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #109 of 652

Quote:
By the way, have I ever mentioned to you guys that I listen to electronic music on my SA5000's with a 10" sub? That sounds WICKED, folks. 

I'm interested in how you accomplish that.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #110 of 652
My M^3 amp has two sets of inputs. If the other set isn't used, it works as a line-level through that I connect straight to the sub, which is actively powered. Tons of fun I tell ya. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #112 of 652
I think, and many think the 5K works very well with those genres. However, many don't. All I'm saying that is if you haven't heard the 5K, it's a bit of a gamble since I don't think the 5K is as great of an all-rounder can. I bought my 5K FOR electronic, and some people love the 5K for rock. I didn't so much. The 5K is a peculiar can, and I can't recommend it over the 650 for someone that hasn't heard the 5K.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #113 of 652
Quote:
now i don't know what to choose, hd650 or sa5k

i have a crack amp about to arrive, if that help me to choose my HPs?

I would consider both the HD650 and SA5k to be excellent all-rounders as they're very close to neutral. The HD650 is definitely on the warm side and needs a good amp to shine, I prefer the 650s for more mellowed music, Jazz, that sort of thing. I would also consider them a relaxed listening headphone, perhaps a good phone before bed. The Sony's on the other hand are on the bright side, they don't require an expensive amp but do in my opinion improve with the warmth and body of tubes. They're also completely opposite when it comes to presentation, the SA5k are very aggressive, with excellent speed and clarity which is borderline fatiguing to some, they bring your music to life.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #114 of 652
looks like i will stick with my hd650, and maybe get 5k after i upgrade my dac.

my only HP right now is SRH840, what would u desribe it as? bright? bass tight?agressive?slow?
i haven't compared it to any other HPs so i am not sure.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #115 of 652
Quote:
looks like i will stick with my hd650, and maybe get 5k after i upgrade my dac.

my only HP right now is SRH840, what would u desribe it as? bright? bass tight?agressive?slow?
i haven't compared it to any other HPs so i am not sure.

I've only auditioned the SRH840 but I would consider that bright, compacted and boring... very similar to a Sony MDR7506, a monitoring headphone. The SA5k has brilliant extension and musical separation they are nothing alike in terms of sound signature, they are however both quite neutral. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #116 of 652
I've only auditioned the SRH840 but I would consider that bright, compacted and boring... very similar to a Sony MDR7506, a monitoring headphone. The SA5k has brilliant extension and musical separation they are nothing alike in terms of sound signature, they are however both quite neutral. 

Are you sure you heard the SRH840 not the SRH940? Where the latter can sound like what you are describing, the SRH840 is rather warm and bassy.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #118 of 652
I do agree that these are specialty phones and not good as your only pair. I enjoy too much music that sounds terrible on these phones.

Also I only use them on my modded X-can v2 tube amp with X-psu, so YMMV.

That said, there are no other headphones I have heard (HD800's included) so detailed and magical on some recordings, especially female vocals with light instrumentals and Classical. They are also super fun on electronic music but are lacking in the bass.

They make my happy place smile more than my other headphones can when it's all right.

I have HD650's with modified pads and equinox cable as my 60% listening setup, D2000's for 20% and SA5000's for 20%.  I also have the M50's or ER-4's for portable use.

You can't find the one headphone that does it all really well, on all recordings. If you like almost every Genre of music, especially if it's a high quality recording, you will need more than one headphone.

If you have a basshead phone, a midrange phone and a detail phone you'll be better off.

If you can only spend $300-500 on headphone, maybe consider some cheap Sony cans for bass, Beyer's for midrange, cheap Grado's for detail and try to pick them all up used.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #120 of 652
how do the sa5000 compare to the k701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back