Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #91 of 652
I'm not sure how keen I am on the silver plastic around the earcup, If it's removable I think I may paint it gloss black. I would remove that material too in the earcup and apply damping to the back of the magnet but so it doesn't cover any venting in the magnet. As well as adhesive damping pads to any exposed plastic around the driver in the earcup if practical.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #92 of 652
Are the SA3000 and SA5000 the same headphone spare for the ear pads and cheaper materials? I have heard they use the same driver and have the same body style just worse build.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #93 of 652
Quote:
Are the SA3000 and SA5000 the same headphone spare for the ear pads and cheaper materials? I have heard they use the same driver and have the same body style just worse build.

Yes I believe so, there has been talk of placing SA5k pads on a 3k to see if they sound identical but I don't think anyone's done this as yet. The leather pads do give you better bass at the expense of loosing some air to the music, similar effect is also seen with replacing the velour pads on Beyers.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #94 of 652
Another mod I may do is to completely cover the entire headband (with a layer of memory foam underneath on the headside) with leather or suede completely from both sides starting from just above where the "left" and "right" are written. It would look alot more classy that way. That with the silver plastic painted gloss black with only the small section with the Sony logo and "left" "right" section left silver (along with the silver frame covered by the leather) and recabled with braided silver cable should look really sharp.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #95 of 652

Quote:
Yes I believe so, there has been talk of placing SA5k pads on a 3k to see if they sound identical but I don't think anyone's done this as yet. The leather pads do give you better bass at the expense of loosing some air to the music, similar effect is also seen with replacing the velour pads on Beyers.

Umm..... hmmmm About the pads thing. If they are open headphones, seal should have nothing to do with the bass response correct? 

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #96 of 652

Quote:
Umm..... hmmmm About the pads thing. If they are open headphones, seal should have nothing to do with the bass response correct? 

The pads will effect how your ear couples to the driver and how the sound waves coming from the front of the driver are effected before they reach your ear. For example velour pads are more porous and will dissipate certain frequencies more than leather. "Seal" just refers to that particular coupling and does not relate to what is happening to the rear wave of the driver and whether that part is sealed or open or whatever. So it doesn't matter if they are open style phones or not the pads will still effect the amount of bass and other aspects of sound.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #97 of 652

Quote:
I made fine perforations in the material you are speaking of thinking it will let the driver move more freely thus warmer tone.  Did you find this type of change after modding your headphone.

Exactly, that was the point, after that they sound more airy of course. The only reason it's there it's to not bother other people with 'noise', but it affects the sound for sure.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #99 of 652

Quote:
Nice to hear about the K701 comparison.  I have a Q701 and I was expecting to be underwhelmed by a SA5000 purchase or see it as an annoying side-grade; this helps confirm my suspicions.

To my ears, they don't sound that much alike. There are similarities, but I thought the SA5000s were a much better headphone than my K701s and I as I said earlier, I regret making the switch.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #100 of 652

I would agree, they don't sound much alike - I feel the opposite way in terms of which was better though. But I fully agree; they are not similar flavors.
Quote:

To my ears, they don't sound that much alike. There are similarities, but I thought the SA5000s were a much better headphone than my K701s and I as I said earlier, I regret making the switch.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #101 of 652

Quote:
How about to compare SA5000 with AD900 and DT880 ? I love wide soundstage, bright sound, more detail, smooth and sweet in the mid-vocal. Please let me know of your suggestions

The only thing that I like more from the Beyer's (250 ohm)  is their soundstage, more spatial/dimensional but at the same time they have poor instrument separation in bass regions and are slower.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #102 of 652
Quote:
Nice to hear about the K701 comparison.  I have a Q701 and I was expecting to be underwhelmed by a SA5000 purchase or see it as an annoying side-grade; this helps confirm my suspicions.

Quote:

People form these preconceived ideas; such as the Sony SA5000 isn't better than their existing phone and then use selective response to backup their idea despite of an overwhelming number saying something else. That's some psychology for ya!

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #103 of 652
can anyone tell me why it is not as widely discussed/owned as similar price-range HPs e.g. hd650?

and someone mentioned that it is even as good sounding as hd800, is that exagerated?

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #104 of 652

Quote:
People form these preconceived ideas; such as the Sony SA5000 isn't better than their existing phone and then use selective response to backup their idea despite of an overwhelming number saying something else. That's some psychology for ya!

All the time!  :wink:

I still want to hear the SA, but the controversy around this thing is huge... then again, so was the K701 and I overall like the Q.  Hopefully I'll get to a meet where someone busts out an SA5000 + nice tube amp combo and people who have preconceived notions about Sonys get some kind of lesson.  If it sounded awesome, I'd have no problem simply EQ'ing it, just as I've had to do with everything else I've tried so far.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #105 of 652
  Just starting a second day with my sa5000's.  I took a bunch of un-boxing pictures and don't worry, I won't bore the clothes off of you posting them.  The packaging was very snazzy befitting Sony's statement HP's  and the cans were in perfect condition.  It was very cold the morning they were delivered and after removing them from their fancy satin cradle and I began the ritual stroking and prodding process we all go through when examining new expensive gear and noticed that the leather ear pads were rock hard and cold.  I set them down on the desk and let them warm up for around an hour at room temp before trying them on for the first time. During this time I found that they come with a really neat headphone stand with a finish that matches that of my new Schitt Valhalla tube amp.  Dynamic duo!!   With the pads at room temp and now cushy and compliant, I tried them on for the first time.  After a few headband  adjustments they virtually became weightless on my head.  Great design.  I could wear these for hours without discomfort.  
What do they sound like?   They are very impressive right out of the box but I guess a proper break in is in order before making any judgements.  From what I have already heard I am very pleased.   I've listened to a few of my classical SACD's and came away impressed especially with some large scale symphonic/chorus and organ works.   Clarity with body.   Impressive.   They are certainly keepers.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back