Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #76 of 652
Also I have had the experience of comparing a cheap solid state amp and tube amp on some small bookshelf speakers and the results were dramatic. So I have equivalent expectations and I know not to blame the headphones so much when paired with cheaper gear. However I do look forward to buying a tube amp.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #77 of 652
My M^3 is very tubey and warm, but still quick to compliment the SA5000 speed. I made it that way 
smile.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #78 of 652

Quote:
My M^3 is very tubey and warm, but still quick to compliment the SA5000 speed. I made it that way 
smile.gif

I looked up some quick reviews after you posted about it. Sounds like a good amp. It's just I'm on a tight budget for a few months. For example I have around $200-400/mo at most I could spend on whatever and I need to pay off some bills before I can spend more.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #79 of 652

Quote:
I looked up some quick reviews after you posted about it. Sounds like a good amp. It's just I'm on a tight budget for a few months. For example I have around $200-400/mo at most I could spend on whatever and I need to pay off some bills before I can spend more.

Completely understandable. I'm sure we can work something out, and maybe I can cut you a deal if you're interested in the amp. Like I said, I'd rather it go to an SA5000 owner. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #80 of 652
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #81 of 652
You EQ looks nicely compansated, Do you think it's more balanced this way?

And looking at you avatar and sig, what exactly did you remove behind the grill  to make 'fully-open' version?

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #82 of 652

Quote:
If anyone is interested, I have a custom-build Rockhopper M^3 amp that I bought FOR the SA5000, and made certain upgrades to compliment the SA5000 sound signature. I'm putting it up for sale soon, but would rather see it go to an SA5000 owner. PM me if interested. It sounds splendid!

It is funny you mention the Rockhopper M3. I have an M3 and had SA5000s and loved them. I sold them for K701s and have regretted that ever since. Maybe I will sell my K701s and go back to them, I have just been listening to IEMs much more lately than my home rig. To me the SA5000s sounded great when the recording was great, but sounded like trash when the recording was trash.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #84 of 652
Just ordered  a pair from Amazon for $343.98.   Going to see how it pairs up with my Headroom Micro Stack and my new Schitt Audio Valhalla.  Not at the same time of course
tongue.gif
.   Wonder which amp will be best with them.  I wasn't going to get them but this thread did me in, as usual
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #87 of 652
Quote:

I wasn't going to get them but this thread did me in, as usual 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Just got the acknowledgment from Amazon.  Will get them tomorrow.   I am such an impetuous fool 
tongue.gif

Me too, brother, me too. I think most of us are. And I recommend the M^3 amp for them, depending on your budget. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #88 of 652

Quote:
Interesting thread, figured I'd weigh in as I have some fairly recent experience with the SA5000. I tried them out earlier this year (month or so ago, now). I found my K701 to be better than the SA5000 in every way possible, and the MDR-F1 to be the headphone I was hoping the SA5000 to be (a good complement to the K701; it's better in some regards, worse in others - it stayed, the SA5000 did not). The talk of dampening in the SA5000 housing has me thinking of the F1's "Acoustic Bass Lens" (and despite half of the English section of the manual being devoted to this feature and why it makes the F1 the best thing since sliced bread, they hardly describe it any meaningful way, the pictures make it look like a big piece of unobtanium between the driver and the protective grille though - sort of like what the markl mod did for Denon drivers). 

I'm curious in reading more about the "fake SA5000s."

Nice to hear about the K701 comparison.  I have a Q701 and I was expecting to be underwhelmed by a SA5000 purchase or see it as an annoying side-grade; this helps confirm my suspicions.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #89 of 652

Quote:
You EQ looks nicely compansated, Do you think it's more balanced this way?

And looking at you avatar and sig, what exactly did you remove behind the grill  to make 'fully-open' version?

I find them more pleasant-easy listening, but it's rather subtle, just -2db's to tame some piercing freq's and +1db on low bass.

Between the grill and the magnet there's a black circle, something like very fine synthethic cardboard, that blocks most of the sound and air.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #90 of 652

Quote:
I find them more pleasant-easy listening, but it's rather subtle, just -2db's to tame some piercing freq's and +1db on low bass.

Between the grill and the magnet there's a black circle, something like very fine synthethic cardboard, that blocks most of the sound and air.

I made fine perforations in the material you are speaking of thinking it will let the driver move more freely thus warmer tone.  Did you find this type of change after modding your headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back