Who should I contact...
Aug 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
if I wanted someone to custom build a cmoy for me?

Specifically, I am looking for a cmoy based on the JDS Labs v2.02 board, in a custom Hammond enclosure, as well as a potentiometer for the bass control.

If there is truly no one out there who could build this for a reasonable price, then how difficult would this be to build, provided you had no circuitry experience whatsoever?

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 6
building a CMoy is a kind of rite of passage...almost everyone here has done it. It takes a degree of dedication and will certainly empty your wallet. Go to tangentsoft.net and read about it. It isn't that hard to build one, and the best part is the satisfaction of producing a very cool piece of gear.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 6
It's easy with a PCB
wink.gif

If you have any skills whatsoever with your hand, you should be fine. The biggest cost is going to be tools, though. If you really do not plan on building circuits/amps in the future, dont' bother investing, IMHO.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 6
I suppose you could "fly" the bass boost pot, the LED and power jack out of the back side of an 802. Good luck trying to drill the case as the PCB is designed. It's a PITA with an Altoids tin...I couldn't imagine trying to rig it through the side of an 802.

It is my experience that the bass boost is unnecessary, especially using a 2227 opamp. Also the power jack on a JDS board is non standard and could be replaced easily if you removed it from the pcb and "fly" it on a panel elsewhere.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm with vixr and linuxworks. You should honestly consider attempting one. There's always lots of support here and it would give you some knowledge about how it works. IF you hve no interest, though, you might consider browsing through some retail options instead. There is always a decent batch of portable-sized amps to consider. And, just to present an on-the-fence idea, check out the For Sale forums. There might be a CMoy there waiting for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back