Who says iPods are cooling down?
Jan 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
According to a report on iLounge, Apple sold about 217,000 iPods a day last fiscal quarter. The article is about a quarter of the way down the page.

That is an amazing amount of iPods - comes out to about 20 million in 92 days. Hehe, Microsoft wants to sell 1 million by June - Apple can do that number in a week.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 31
yeah, Apple is having no problem selling iPod's.

though, Apple did only sell like 350,000 iPod's in their first year IIRC, so MS wishing to sell 1 million in less than a year is a pretty high target I think, especially since the iPod has been the domiant player for years.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 31
but in the ipod's initial release, they were available only for the mac platform, bringing that goal of 350.000 to much higher number than microsoft's 1.000.000 goal as mac has never had a market share over 5%. that number is amazing. open it up to windows and you know the story, the numbers have flipped over

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but in the ipod's initial release, they were available only for the mac platform, bringing that goal of 350.000 to much higher number than microsoft's 1.000.000 goal as mac has never had a market share over 5%. that number is amazing. open it up to windows and you know the story, the numbers have flipped over

Yep. That's gotta be the epitomisation of irony

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the touch screen version comes out without the phone the Zune and Others are DONE!

SIMPLY AMAZING!

What about other touchscreen players that are ALREADY out?

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 31
i really do hope apple doesnt EVERYTHING a touchscreen in the future... i always adjust my volume and controls and stuff in my pocket... oh well. i will just be able to by a 4G ipod photo for even cheaper refurbished and get it iModded.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, Apple is having no problem selling iPod's.

though, Apple did only sell like 350,000 iPod's in their first year IIRC, so MS wishing to sell 1 million in less than a year is a pretty high target I think, especially since the iPod has been the domiant player for years.

On the other hand, when Apple first released the 1G iPod in 2001, mp3 players still hadn't exploded on the market; they were still considered geeky gadgets by then

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 31
the article doesn't specify which model of ipod the numbers are for (or does it...) so I'm going to assume it's for everything from the shuffle up to 5.5 ipod. that accounts for such a wide sector in the dap market- the smallest of flash to the largest of hdd- so while that is impressive, it is not as shocking. the zune is just one option, so it couldn't hope to capture even 15% of those numbers.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the touch screen version comes out without the phone the Zune and Others are DONE!

SIMPLY AMAZING!

We'll see, we'll see. Currently iRiver's 4 to 5 year old products are better than the current iPods.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacene /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, who IS saying that iPods are cooling down? Did we ever establish that?

blink.gif

There was a thread a while ago about whether or not iPods were reaching their saturation level in the market, and how the 2G Nanos had not been as eagerly gobbled up as previous incarnations, at least in the opinion of the poster

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 31
i think alot of it has to do with the price drop. apple now has an ipod line that everyone can afford, and with the popularity behind it, i'm not quite surprised at how much they are selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back