who said a NSX cant transform into a F50? (insane!)
Sep 24, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #92 of 130
Quote:

Since we're talkin bout' C5, my biggest complaint lies in cheap materials used around cockpit. But 45K dollars is cheap for a car with super performance. You always get what you pay for

you're right... it is REALLY cheap inside. i mean, just talking the interior... panels are loose, fit is bad of many things... and there are still mysterious rattles sometimes (though it's a lot better than my c4, and many important cars, despite everything.) yeah, cheap plastic stuff. i hate the seat reclining lever... i always feel it's gonna break.

but if you're gonna charge $50k for a car that performs like it's 2x the price, well, you know... you have to make sacrifices. the c6 is supposed to be a lot better.

but all the stuff that really matters--the engine, transmission, suspension, tires, and stuff like that--it's all top grade. so, you don't have to worry about that.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #93 of 130
the best all around daily driver sport cars are German bar none

M3, M5, Porsche, Audi S series, mercedes AMG

though probably not quite as well experienced as Tuberoller
my father had a 94 m3, drove right well and without any major issues until we traded in for a 99" 7 series

my friend has a 02 S4, with upgraded k06 kkk turbo's down pipes and chip along with new suspension and OZ tegliani (i think how its spelt) 17" w/ kuhmo tires for auto crossing
Ran at 12 psi for 2 years and still no problems (however did have a 2nd gear syncro issue, as he was trying to do 4 wheel burnouts from 1st gear thru to 3rd in winter tires) and winter driven

His brother has a porsche c4, 02 as well, again no issues
winter driven also (*insane*)

a good buddy of mine's dad as the AMG 55 M class, and again, was the fastest SUV for the longest time, had tons of balls

but not just the fact these are reliable and consistant performers
they also are just perfect daily drivers

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #94 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
the best all around daily driver sport cars are German bar none

M3, M5, Porsche, Audi S series, mercedes AMG

though probably not quite as well experienced as Tuberoller
my father had a 94 m3, drove right well and without any major issues until we traded in for a 99" 7 series

my friend has a 02 S4, with upgraded k06 kkk turbo's down pipes and chip along with new suspension and OZ tegliani (i think how its spelt) 17" w/ kuhmo tires for auto crossing
Ran at 12 psi for 2 years and still no problems (however did have a 2nd gear syncro issue, as he was trying to do 4 wheel burnouts from 1st gear thru to 3rd in winter tires) and winter driven

His brother has a porsche c4, 02 as well, again no issues
winter driven also (*insane*)

a good buddy of mine's dad as the AMG 55 M class, and again, was the fastest SUV for the longest time, had tons of balls

but not just the fact these are reliable and consistant performers
they also are just perfect daily drivers

I used to dislike the german car companies thinking they were for yuppies and such ...thats until I started driving them.

I realize now that no other company will compare for over all value and spirit.
I have driven every bmw thats out now, a few benz's and just about every audi to.
even the volkswagon's are amazing for their price to quality.

all german cars are solid, so solid that you will (or should) never hear any interior squeks or rattles. I drove a 03 c5 brand new off the show room floor and could not believe the amount of rattles I heard inside this car. then I get back to the dealer and take out a convertable..of course it has to start raining rite there and then. I was at a stop light with the top up and I felt something hit my leg, I looked up and seen the entire top seal with water drops. I then looked over at the salesmen and asked what was that about, he replys that he can get that fixed, I said I believe the best way to fix this for me is I just don't buy it.

Of course gm has the cadillac brand, I have since seen or driven any caddy that I didnt like. its almost like GM puts all there money into that caddilac name. Cadillac is the best of american company cars. they drive like the german...very tight.

ever hear the saying "once you drive a german car youll never go back"?
For me its true.

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #95 of 130
quite frankly for someone of your stature
stop belittling the car
i'm not an american car fan
I think the Japanese make the best small compact and best value for mid-sized sedans
are coming to have better fit and finish than the germans

but the europeans still have the most "Exotic" sports cars

The C5 in it's on right is damned good for it's value
Considering that you could drive around in a S4 which costs about the same amount, you won't turn heads nearly as easily
and won't touch it in speed other than winter

but on the other hand the C5 won't have the fit and finish, or the bells and whistles that come with a S4 (gps navagation, dual climate control, engine managent systems)

but I can tell you if price were no object, i'd still have a F1 modena in my garage

Sep 24, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #99 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
quite frankly for someone of your stature
stop belittling the car
i'm not an american car fan
I think the Japanese make the best small compact and best value for mid-sized sedans
are coming to have better fit and finish than the germans

but the europeans still have the most "Exotic" sports cars

The C5 in it's on right is damned good for it's value
Considering that you could drive around in a S4 which costs about the same amount, you won't turn heads nearly as easily
and won't touch it in speed other than winter

but on the other hand the C5 won't have the fit and finish, or the bells and whistles that come with a S4 (gps navagation, dual climate control, engine managent systems)

but I can tell you if price were no object, i'd still have a F1 modena in my garage

I am not trying to say the c5 is junky junk. like I said I like the car. but GM has ruined it for me on the make side of things.
Its a decent car but should have had better make. the deisgn layout is beauty and its overall value is on par with a cobra mustang...but not the nsx.

Sep 24, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #101 of 130
Quote:

It's a sarcastic remark regarding corvettes and goes with NSX performance in the video.

guess we'll never know huh? but i'd be willing to wager that you'd be quite surprised how far it'll go. but i'm glad your nsx did well in that race.... but you know as well as i do it doesn't prove much.... the driver in that car was probably badass. and perhaps the others just kinda sucked. i mean... really... the lambo has almost 2x as much power, but you saw that in the straight sections, it surely wasn't speeding in front of the nsx, which should only have an advantage in the corners. it wasn't 'till the very very end of the race did the lambos do anything at all.

i dunno... that was a pretty lame race actually, to be honest. cool that cool cars were in it, but just kinda stupid.

the fact is, the z06 is 50lbs lighter (better handling), 100hp more (faster), has fatter tires (more faster), and a suspension race tuned on nuremburg and from many le mans runs (great handling.) what more do you need?--i think you're just being stubborn! it might drive "easier"... but i just can't see how a nsx would win a z06 in any kind of race, if both are driven by decent pilots.

i dunno if it matters to you... if you're into imports or not (i suspect you are cause you like the nsx so much).... but they just had a big Drift race here in Irwindale. the american cars KILLED all the imports. there were 2 vipers, and one pontiac gto that just totally destroyed the other cars (350z, integras, skyline?, 240z... etc... don't think a nsx was there though... but maybe). they didn't win... but that's mostly because the judging is kinda weird. but the crowd knew which cars were best. and get this... from Japan was this superstar team consisting of 4 people--their top car?--the viper. funny huh?

anyway man, bring your nsx. i'll bring my car. and we'll go to the track. drag--xcross... whatever. we'll play. i'm serious.

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #102 of 130
The NSX gang can say all they want that the Z06 is an inferior car but I have driven both and the Z06 will literally run circles around any stock NSX.

That shootout was fun to watch but some things are very clear.

1.The driver of the NSX was far more agressive and had much better shifting and braking skills. He would have been near the front in any of those cars.

2.The driver of the black Lambo was only fair. Did you see his terrible footwork and watch him miss that shift on the straightaway?

3.The Porsche had an automatic trans. What's up with that?

4. On a more wide open track those Lambos would have lapped every other car there. That straight looked to be less than a 1/4 mile, and the track suface was very flat. This track was designed for low powered cars that handle well.

If the Z06 was there the race would have been between the Lambos and it. A Stock Z06 has lapped Road America( a large 4.2 mile road course) for 110 laps, without any failures,within .8 seconds of the fastest hot lap of a stock vehicle(the Saleen S7). The Saleen suffured a failed clutch after 36 laps.

As a street vehicle the NSx is superior.It is nicer looking,better built and easier to drive fast. It also costs twice as much and God help you should you ever have to replace a clutch.

The Z06 was tuned on and for the racetrack. It is right now the most raced stock vehicle next to the Dodge Neon SRT-4. Don't take my word for it,visit a track day or an SCCA track event(not a SOLO race) and see how many Z06 are there. The Z06 is hailed as the fastest two-wheel drive car around a racetrack that you can buy right now,this from the mouths of racers who could care less who makes the car,they wanna win.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #103 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
The Z06 was tuned on and for the racetrack. It is right now the most raced stock vehicle next to the Dodge Neon SRT-4. Don't take my word for it,visit a track day or an SCCA track event(not a SOLO race) and see how many Z06 are there. The Z06 is hailed as the fastest two-wheel drive car around a racetrack that you can buy right now,this from the mouths of racers who could care less who makes the car,they wanna win.

Yup. Before the Z06 came out there was one car that dominated the SS class in SCCA racing for years. The 3rd generation RX7. When the Z06 came out and was placed in the SS class, 3rd gen owners everywhere got pissy. Why? We started to lose. And to keep up, we had to drastically modify our cars, so much so that it bumped us out of super stock and into super modified or super modified 2. Since the racing in SS is more competative, people began to switch. The same people who used to brag about smoking C4's in the mid 90s and C5's in the late 90s. The same people who said they'd never own a piston engine vehicle and definetly never a vette. Why? Because it was that good. I will probably end up with the Z06 C6, whatever they call it. Because for the money, it's just that good.

Right now, anyone who is serious about SCCA SS class racing, owns a Z06. And most of these owners daily drive their cars too. A race car and a daily driver for 40-50 grand? Can't beat it.

The only car in that price range that comes close to the z06 or c6 on a SCCA track would be the new Lotus Elise. But that's only on small autocross tracks. Race both on a SOLO course and Lotus will lose too much ground on the straights. I'm test driving a Lotus in 2 weeks. Not like it'll matter... the waiting list is still 19 months last I heard.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #104 of 130
Quote:

As a street vehicle the NSx is superior.It is nicer looking,better built and easier to drive fast. The Z06 was tuned on and for the racetrack. It is right now the most raced stock vehicle. by tuberoller

Pretty much sums up what I need to say. It's really pointless to say which one goes faster in my book. If this was the case, no one will buy 996 based on hp/price as well.
To me R&T survey is a good testament to this argument. When people buy cars like C5 and NSX, performance plays big part of the equation, but certainly not the only. There are many factors like build quality, design, dealer service, dependability, resale value, etc. This is where most people differ in purchasing decision as well as personal taste.
Sometimes I want american sometimes german sometimes japanese. Even my mood swings.
Darn twisop, you beat me to it. If I didn't have bad dmv record, my choice of car under $50K is definately Lotus Elise, go-kart handling, minimalist sports approach, british flavor, exotic brand name, pure and efficient lean machine.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #105 of 130
Quote:

If I didn't have bad dmv record, my choice of car under $50K is definately Lotus Elise, go-kart handling, minimalist sports approach, british flavor, exotic brand name, pure and efficient machine.

really!? under 50k? street-legal right? gosh... i want one now.
biggrin.gif
then again, my 235lbs would slow that feather down quite a bit.... heh he.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back