Who repairs sony cd3000's ?
Aug 20, 2003 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Tom Hankins was nice enough to let me borrow his cd3000's; but when I got them today something is wrong. There is a distortion in the left driver that sounds similar to grado grattle. Low bass notes or powerful transients set it crackling and distorting even at modest volume. Does anyone know of a sony repair center that will fix them? I would appreciate a link or phone number of someone to contact. Please direct reply's to me as Tom is having computer trouble too and his computer is down. These phones were purchased used so there is no warranty he knows of.

Thanks in advance guys

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 9
Aug 20, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for running this for me Earl. And thanks alot TravelLite for the reply. I'll try to get through that site and see if I can get the phones fixed there. (if this sorry computer holds out)

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Guys...those phones should still be under warrenty as they were bought by me on 5/27/2003. Just check the enclosed warrenty card (I left it right in the case in its original plastic) and see if it is a 90 day or year warrenty. Either way, I will be emailing you guys a scan of the original sales receipt. Just contact Sony and it should be fine.This will all work out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel really badly that the driver went bad....hope it wasn't all that shipping.
John

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply John. I FEEL BAD TOO! He is nice enough to go out of his way to send them to me and they come up damaged. Tom is a super guy. Hopefully for all his good deeds he will be blessed with some new r-10's.

Aug 20, 2003 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 9
John, I'm thinking it was probably just a bad bounce on the way to Earl's. No problem. Thanks for all the help. No reason for any of us to feel bad about it. Well maybe Earl should feel bad, he still thought they where fantastic and wants to get a pr. $$$ Ha Ha.
Earl, Last time I checked I was still about 3,465,021 good deeds away from the R-10's. Thanks again you guys.

Aug 20, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 9
just a sanity check, but did you try plugging them into difference sources (perhaps with different output impedances)? anything... even something like a tv or pcdp..

hope nothing's seriously wrong with them though
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 9
I had them on two amps, and tried two other headphones in the same two amps; and the cd3000's were the only ones that had a problem. I cleaned the plug with contact cleaner, checked for hair in the driver etc and the problem persisted. Later I lightly tapped the outside cover of each driver and I got an amplified thump on the left side where the distortion was occuring vs a dull thump on the unaffected right side. There is no doubt some type of problem with the left driver or the cord. The sony's sound so good even with the grattle type sounds coming from the left driver; I want some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back