Who remembers the Sennheiser PX100?
Feb 26, 2020 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Hayang

100+ Head-Fier
This headphone was the first headphone I fell in love with. It had just the right amount of warmth in just the right frequency range, had a punchy, fun sound, and was extremely light and comfortable.

To me, I will always remember it as the perfect portable headphone.

However one day it broke at the plug and I threw it away to try to find something better.
More than 13 years later, I have never found any headphone I have liked quite as much. I miss that headphone like a long lost brother.

Does anyone know what is out there today that is comparable?
The closest I've tried were the Koss Portapro and KSC 75. The KSCs have harsher treble, and the Portapros... just look a little janky to me although I remember them being quite similar in sound signature. I have a Sennheiser HD598 which is also similar but I feel like it has a more relaxed presentation than how I remember the PX100s.

I wonder if any of you have found something that sounds remarkably like this legendary headphone.

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 37
If you don't like the look of the portapro but do like the sound, the Ksc-35 or sporta pro are supposed to have the same drivers. w/ ksc if you prefer headband style there is a 'headband mod' for 75's, not sure if it works w/ 35s though- check out YAXI pads also. The kph30 has a more modern look but I dont think uses same drivers?

I have only the px100ii, but personally prefer portapro, wish Koss could compete w/ senn for build quality (at least they have the crazy warranty).
IIRC Venture Electronics said they were inspired by orig px100 for their Monk and Zen earbuds ( don't quote me on that though)- if you dont mind earbuds could be worth checking out Monk which are super affordable .

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 37
This headphone was the first headphone I fell in love with. It had just the right amount of warmth in just the right frequency range, had a punchy, fun sound, and was extremely light and comfortable.

However one day it broke at the plug and I threw it away to try to find something better.
More than 13 years later, I have never found any headphone I have liked quite as much. I miss that headphone like a long lost brother.

The closest I've tried were the Koss Portapro and KSC 75. The KSCs have harsher treble, and the Portapros... just look a little janky to me although I remember them being quite similar in sound signature. I have a Sennheiser HD598 which is also similar but I feel like it has a more relaxed presentation than how I remember the PX100s.

I wonder if any of you have found something that sounds remarkably like this legendary headphone.

Hi,

I remember those! I mainly use portable on-ear headphones and those were my main daily headphones for all of the 2000s. I assume you are talking about the original model and not the PX100-II. I went through two pairs (the wire would always eventually break) over about a 10 year period and I recall in 2011 when they had been replaced by the II's. When I got those, I was somewhat disappointed - they sounded much darker and bass heavy compared to the orgiinal model. But I used a pair of those until they broke and I finally switched to wireless bluetooth models. I knew I'd never match the portability, comfort and sound of those original PX-100s but I ended up with a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Sense that were closer in sound and comfortable - too bad they put a volume toggle wheel on it instead of +/- buttons which rattles if you walk or move your head. I never was able to eliminate that 100% so have stopped using them this year when walking. I never liked the look of the Porta Pros so I never tried them. I'm currently using a pair of JBL Duets and AKG Y500s for my exercise walking headphones (in case one may ask - I don't like the feel of IEMs in my ears so don't use them).

Cheers,

--tom

Mar 21, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 37

Yes, I also fell in love with these headphones. The original Sennheiser PX-100. Not the inferior, successors. Mine are over 15 years old. Have had 3 earpad replacements, and the top pads, fell off 2 years ago. Thankfully, Ebay had all of the replacements, (from China or Japan, I forgot). When the top pads fell off, I thought mine were toast. It was so depressing! After finding new top pads on Ebay, they would not stick strong enough to the headphone, and kept falling off after 10 minutes. I had to superglue them on. That was 2 years ago, and there have been no problems since! Thank heavens, these are amazing headphones. Great sound, portable, and comfortable. Here is my old soldier:

I suggest a used PX-100, from Ebay. They usually have some on there. The prices are a bit inflated, but nothing too serious. That should work out. I even saw some "New Old Stock" PX-100s, a few years ago, still in the original packaging. Keep your eyes open and you should find some good stuff.

Another suggestion: The Sony MDR-V6, or Sony MDR-7506. They are bigger, and less portable, but not huge. They have great sound and good build quality. Anyway good luck.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 37
Thanks for chiming in! I actually am going to try out the Koss KPH30i, which apparently has related drivers (if not the same?) to the KSC PortaPro series.
It was $30 so if it brings back memories of the PX100 then it's done its job :)

I'll update on my impressions soon!

1587022499149.png

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 37
Interesting, let me know about your experience with them. I have never tried the Koss Porta Pro, but I have seen it several times "around", online. Seems to have a large number of dedicated fans. If I recall, it was a competitor of the PX-100, years ago. Does the Porta Pro sound good? The only reason you don't like it is because of its looks? Those Koss KPH30iK seem like a good-sounding, portable headphone as well. Will probably try one of those two if my Sennheiser dies.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 37
Yes, I also fell in love with these headphones. The original Sennheiser PX-100. Not the inferior, successors. Mine are over 15 years old. Have had 3 earpad replacements, and the top pads, fell off 2 years ago. Thankfully, Ebay had all of the replacements, (from China or Japan, I forgot). When the top pads fell off, I thought mine were toast. It was so depressing! After finding new top pads on Ebay, they would not stick strong enough to the headphone, and kept falling off after 10 minutes. I had to superglue them on. That was 2 years ago, and there have been no problems since! Thank heavens, these are amazing headphones. Great sound, portable, and comfortable. Here is my old soldier:

I suggest a used PX-100, from Ebay. They usually have some on there. The prices are a bit inflated, but nothing too serious. That should work out. I even saw some "New Old Stock" PX-100s, a few years ago, still in the original packaging. Keep your eyes open and you should find some good stuff.

Another suggestion: The Sony MDR-V6, or Sony MDR-7506. They are bigger, and less portable, but not huge. They have great sound and good build quality. Anyway good luck.
hello have had these phones for many years,treat them like gold dust and keep the in the supplied plastic container. have you tried yaxi foam pads for these so much more comfortable. type in yaxi on internet,they are the cheapest pads but are worth it

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 37
So I have the Koss KPH30i on right now, and I definitely do think that it reminds me of that old PX100 sound.

The part that I love the most, is that bump in the upper bass/lower midrange that makes the sound very warm, PUNCHY, and engaging. This to me is what made the PX100 so charismatic and fun. I'm very curious what others who have the PX100 right now would think of it side by side. (It's only $30!)

Perhaps it could be your replacement when the PX100 finally dies.

Coming from having used the Audeze Mobius last (before selling it), I do notice it's not winning any prizes with detail, soundstage, or instrument separation. But the sound signature is VERY pleasing.

If you guys have any questions about it let me know. I also own a HD598 SE, and some KZ-ZS10s.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 37
I just found a PX100 in a drawer at home. The earpads disintegrated as soon as I touched it!

I plugged it in and it still works; so I'll order new earpads and headphone top pads - let's see if I can rediscover this old great choice!

Good stuff, looks like you found a nice project. Just need some patience, and finding the right parts to get it back to life. The original Sennheiser PX-100 is really good, I wonder if anything now, in that segment, can compare. They are worth the effort, imho.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 37
So I have the Koss KPH30i on right now, and I definitely do think that it reminds me of that old PX100 sound.

The part that I love the most, is that bump in the upper bass/lower midrange that makes the sound very warm, PUNCHY, and engaging. This to me is what made the PX100 so charismatic and fun. I'm very curious what others who have the PX100 right now would think of it side by side. (It's only $30!)

Perhaps it could be your replacement when the PX100 finally dies.

Coming from having used the Audeze Mobius last (before selling it), I do notice it's not winning any prizes with detail, soundstage, or instrument separation. But the sound signature is VERY pleasing.

If you guys have any questions about it let me know. I also own a HD598 SE, and some KZ-ZS10s.

That sounds interesting. I like the size, portability, and the look. (Don't know how it sounds though). Checking it out on Amazon, for the Koss KPH30i, it seems that the plastic headband, may be a weakpoint. Hopefully Koss is not cheaping out on consumers, because I have seen complaints about Porta Pros, where the newer models were not as solid as the older ones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back