Who plans to buy a Shure PTH?
Oct 2, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 8
This accessory will be a must-have for any IEM for me. Unless I must formally greet someone, I am NOT going to go through the trouble of removing my IEM's, and then re-inserting them, which requires reaching the free hand over the head, slightly opening the mouth, inserting the IEM at a certain angle, etc. etc. etc. I WILL buy this accessory, but as long as it is < $50.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 8
I got one from another member here. Here's my short review:
Very nice and useful idea, very problematic execution. I'm not a fan.
The PTH device has two cords coming out of it: one input, and one output/microphone. They come out of what is intended to be the top of the device, which is meant to be worn on a belt. The output cord, which also contains the microphone, is meant to reach up from belt level to shirt/lapel level. The input cord is meant to reach to various (not too near, not too distant) locations on your person where you might carry your music source.

The cords are relatively heavy, and the belt clip is not especially grippy. So it's easy for the weight of the cords to sort of tug the PTH module to a somewhat horizontal position after a while, and at that point it's not long before it just falls off your belt.

The belt location is less than ideal anyway when you're sitting at your desk or on some form of transit. When you're seated, it's an awkward move to have to reach down and fumble around on your pants every single time someone approaches you. Just try it for a few hours if you don't believe me.

So suppose you want to wear the PTH somewhere else - on a lapel, say, or a shirt pocket or an inside jacket pocket? Doesn't work well at all. The clip, none too secure on a belt, is near useless on the thinner material of a pocket or lapel, and once it's above waist level there's that much extra drooping cord trying to pull it off of you.

The output cable is long enough to reach from belt-level to lapel-level, where it terminates with a shirt/lapel clip and an output jack that also contains the little microphone. The clip is on the cable, not on the jack/mic itself, so the jack/mic tends to flop over once you add the weight of your IEM's plug and cable to it. Now the mic/jack is aimed sideways, or down at the floor. And if you have anything other than a "short cord" IEM to plug into it, you've now got a wealth of dangly, messy-looking cable hanging off your shirt or lapel. Suave.

Or you could hide all that extra cord out of sight somewhere. But now the mic is in a less-than-ideal spot for picking up what it's supposed to pick up. It's hard to win.

I used the PTH on a long airplane flight, where I thought it would be nice to be able to hear cabin announcements and flight attendants ("more wine, sir?", etc.) without dislodging and reinserting my IEMS over and over. And it was. But I was also festooned with cable - the whole arrangement really is very dangly - and the PTH kept coming dislodged and I always had to fumble for it, and overall it was not that much less of a pain than just unplugging the IEMs when I was being spoken to.

The PTH device supposedly also has a volume control. But it is small, recessed, and hard to turn. You basically need to turn it with fingernails, and it doesn't turn easily. A man with short nails can have trouble with it, and a woman with well-cared-for nails might well resent having to expose them to this kind of heavy labor. I wound up maxing it (with the aid of a ballpoint; it really was hard to turn) and leaving it alone permanently after that.

Audio quality with PTH on: quite intelligible.

Audio quality with PTH off: I don't really know; I was on a plane, and whatever quality reduction there might have been was easily masked by airplane noise. And you know, the thing is so messy and cumbersome that I'm unlikely to use it in any other situation.

My personal box score: one star out of five. I think I'll keep it for those occasions where I really want something like this. But I'm honestly not happy with it.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks that review was very helpfull. I tried the PTH at a hifi show and really thought it was great. However, I only spent a few min with it so I'm pretty much put-of from buying it.

Now if they release the E500's without the PTH, that would be great!!!

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I bought one recently, and my experience tracks episiarch's almost exactly. I've found the PTH useful on a plane and when sitting in my office, but very impractical for using on the go.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks episiarch and others.

I'm usually pretty good at making(modding) things work so the awkwardness of it might not be a problem for me. The $60 price is not helping any, $40 I could be happy with.

I still want one though.
etysmile.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 8
While I agree with just about everything Episiarch said in his well written critique of the PTH, I must admit that I find myself using it much more often than I thought I would.

It is quite handy at the office, except for phone calls. However, with a decent speaker phone, you can even use it to talk on the phone without removing the IEM's. The microphone is surprisingly powerful, although it is difficulty to adust the volume on the PTH (recessed wheel). I suspect this is for safety reasons.

The belt clip is really loose, but it could be bent to make it more snug (I haven't done this, but it is clearly an option). A better option may be to put a piece of rubber tubing over the clip or something of that sort to give it some gripping power. If you are a tinkerer, I think you will have no trouble coming up with a solution for the clip issue.

I do think $60 is a bit much for this thing as a standalone product.

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 8
ComfyCan,

Thanks for your input as well. May I ask where the PTH can be purchased that is currently stocking them, Earphone Solutions states availability in Nov.

I haven't really searched around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back