Who Made this AMP?
Mar 6, 2004 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blipblop

100+ Head-Fier
Here

I want a box JUST like that for my PPA.

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 6
my dad works at a cabinet shop and he made me two 5 by 5 inch wood slabs like those shown in the picture. one is oak and the other is cherry, but i have not gotten around to carving the wood yet. i'm sure most cabinet shops will glue two or three pieces of wood for you really cheap. the ones my dad made me were made from scrap. i'll post pictures when i'm done.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 6
ooooooh, wood. I like wood.

There are really a couple ways to go about something like that. Best way is probably a single block of wood of whatever dimensions you like, then take a plunge router and rout out the inside, then round all the outside edges with a 1/4 round just to break off the edge a little. Only downside at all here would be the price. A solid block of appreciable size might be a little more than you would want to spend, and might be tough to find (if you don't know where to look)

The other really good choice would be to take a board, cut it into several sections of the right length, stack, glue, and clamp them, and then treat it as a single block. You'll see seam lines, but they may not be very noticable (depending on how you finish the wood, what kind of glue you use, etc).

The other alternative would be to just construct a box from standard stock, with all the board edges mitered at 45 degrees, that way all the seams are right at the edges. It would still look quite good, and you'd have options on look (maybe a maple box with a walnut top? or a light maple ans a cherry, or some other nice mix?) Probably the toughest to get right, but also one of the potentially better looking (depends on preference).

You should be able to get someone in your area to either make you one, or help you make one. Otherwise, I'd be willing to help you out.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the ideas guys, and the excellent explanation, Mac! I'm going to look around for a cabinet shop. Is that the best term to use when thumbing around phonebooks and the like? What else are they called - woodworkers? woodworking shops?

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 6
also check out the grado RA-1 thread. One guy goes into detail on how to make superb wooden cases. And talks alot about wood selection and the like. Starts on like page 4 or something.

Its a good read.

Happy building

Users who are viewing this thread

Back