Who Loves Pavement?
Nov 28, 2002 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CarterFan41

Head-Fier
I know they're not especially "hi-fi," and probably don't bring the best out of all of your sweet headphone setups, but who on these boards is down with the greatest rock band of the nineties?

Ryan

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Hey, people on this forum know that "hi-fi" does not equal good music.

But more on topic, I've recently been getting into Pavement. I'm a fan of indie rock music, but somehow I've avoided to listen to much of these pioneers. Recently, with the release of their "Luxe and Reduxe" version of Slanted and Enchanted, I've spent some time with it and I must say it's excellent. I can see why they were so influential.

Nov 29, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 13
I like pavement. Uber-slacker band. They're no great shakes as musicians, but they're really all about vibe and attitude. Best album for me is Crooked Rain. Too bad they are so inconsistent. 4 great-classic songs per album, 8 mis-fires. If only they would try a little harder, rehearse more and tighten up...

I have the re-release of Slanted on my "to buy" list for sure. BTW, their last album Terror Twilight was produced by Radiohead producer Godrich, and isn't nearly so "lo-fi".

Blur's album of the same name was directly inspired by pavement, the one with "Song 2" (you know "whooo-hooo"). Love Blur.

Mark

Nov 29, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 13
markl: I rarely enjoy your posts. I hate the perpetual off-topic grado bashing...but I do have to commend you on your fine taste in music. Credit where credit is due and all that
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Call me a Pavement freak, but I don't recall ever hearing a bad Pavement song. I'd definitely say there's more than 4 classics on every album... and yes, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is probably their best album.

RL

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 13
do I like the best band of the 90s? yes, I do. I love Phish.

but honestly, I do like Pavement. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is my fav Pavement album too. It's pretty much consistently very good throughout.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 13
i like brighten the corners. often times i think that i have never heard a better song than "shady lane." i have the new luxe and redux but haven't given it too much of a listen yet, i also bought the new dvd. both can be had from insound for a discount when you order them in a package. insound is awesome for this kind of music, sadly i live in ny so i have to pay tax on all my purchases. plus shipping, when it's like a thirty minute drive away. oh well.

pavement is awesome. good to hear some people like their music, but i really am starting to wonder about people saying "oh this song is good but that song sucks" about a band. i guess i either like the band, or i don't. maybe i'll acknowledge that i like one band more than another, or one album more than another.. but that's about it.

Dec 8, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 13
i have all their albums and have always been a fan since the first release of 'slanted'. my favorite is 'brighten the corners'. and i think that all their songs are good. each have their own attitude and story (or lack of it
biggrin.gif
). pavement is one of those bands whose music gets sweeter and sweeter as time goes on. not a two or three month pass on the cd changer.

my 2 c.

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Just thought I'd bring this thread back to life! I got the Pavement DVD, Slow Century, and it's awesome. About 5 hours of solid entertainment. Pick it up for a great insight into a great band.

Ryan

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, since this thread was brought back from the dead, I will say that I do think Pavement was the best band of the '90s, and my favorite Pavement album is:

Wowee Zowee

(Anyone buying that album now should get the "Sordid Sentinels" edition, if only because it contains the complete "Pacific Trim" EP in addition to other bonus tracks...) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back