Who knows AM radios?
Oct 29, 2002 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mercid

Head-Fier
I need to purchase an AM radio as a Christmas gift for a family member. She likes to listen to a particular station but gets very poor reception. I am hoping to buy her an AM radio that would get a much better signal, any suggestions? Perhaps someone knows of a forum on this subject matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 9
mercid, i don't think you could get anything better than the CCRadio for AM reception...i've been listening to mine every day for about 3 years and i'm still completely satisfied with it in every way...it also has FM, TV audio, and Weather bands including a weather alert alarm which i find important living in a hurricane zone...Its a costly radio but to me its worth every penny and some...

CCRadio link

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 9
If you want to go cheaper, get the GE Superadio III, about $60. Nothing can touch it for reception at that price, meaty internal speaker, and its got a cult following that has developed mods for it. Radio Shack sells a clone, periodically on sale, but there's been unresolved debate as to whether its electrically identical.

An alternative in the CC price range would be a Grundig Yacht Boy 300, which has very good AM and FM reception, passable short wave, but a small speaker. FM is stereo through the phones out (a bit hissy but nice fidelity).

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I agree completely with recommendations made by squirt and zowie. I own both radios (got GE SuperRadio several years ago, and CCRadio Plus recently). They are both excellect. A couple of differences: the CCRadio is primarily AC, although you can add a battery adapter. The GE uses batteries and includes an AC cord that can be stowed in the case. Also, GE uses analog tuning, while the CCRadio is digital.

If you want a small portable, headphone radio, check out Fixup's web site.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
The GE Superradio is a good bet. It gets excellent reception on the internal antenna and it has posts for attaching an external one if you want to. I have used mine for years and from the Chicago Northwest suburbs I am able to listen to Canadian Hockey broadcasts (on a good night). Tuning is analog but is you are looking for only one station this should not be much of a problem.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 9
The GE Super Radio is a good choice as well though the CCRadio build quality is the best...by the way the CCRadio can run on 4D cell batteries internally or you can attach the power cord for AC operation...CCrane co also has some add ons for the CCRadio you may be interested in and you can get either the CCRadio or the GE Super Radio at the same CCrane co. online store.

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
GE super radio with the radio shack tunable loop antenna would beat the cc crane without the loop. the total combination shouldn't cost over $74.
But that crane radio is a beauty and with ext. antenna it probly would be the best.

Oct 29, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 9
it may just be that I'm in a bad area but I have had the cc radio with the addition of the justice antenna and I have found it to be way overrated, I live in wisconsin near milwaukee and have a hard time getting wbbm in chicago at night as well as a lower power staion in milwaukee itself, now keep in mind that I have not gone to the extreme of actually running an antenna to the top of the house but when I lived in milwaukee it was never necessary. my bose wave radio actually gets better reception without the addition of any external antennas..... I would check into the other models mentioned before spending the big bucks on the c crane......

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Monitoring Times did a review of the cc crane about a year ago and if i recall they were not overly impressed with its performance.
I would really like to compare it to my grundig 400.
radio shack sells this one for 149.00 which makes it competitive with the crane and you get short wave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back