Who is your favorite Female Jazz Singer of all time?
Jul 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For contemporary female jazz singers one of my favourites is Roberta Gambarini. Great great singer
biggrin.gif

Rgrds

X3. I cast another vote for Roberta Gambarini for contemporary female jazz singers; fabulous talent and great voice. For all time great I don't think you can beat Billie Holiday. She gets my vote.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip. I ordered You Are There and Easy to Love today. She has a striking voice and reminds me a lot of Ella Fitzgerald. She can scat well too, perhaps not like Ella but no one else could either. Still, very nice.

--Jerome

Yep, Roberta scats damn well. Pay a listen to this Youtube It's not a video but features Roberta on the standard "The sunny side of the street", which is included in one of the CDs you ordered.

Rgrds

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 54
Susannah McCorkle is another very important jazz singer that belongs in this discussion. This is one of the reasons I don't much care for polls. Thankfully some of these threads have some interesting discussion and suggestions, and that's really what draws me into them.

--Jerome

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 54
Ella got my vote. I love her duets with Louis Armstroing.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Susannah McCorkle is another very important jazz singer that belongs in this discussion. This is one of the reasons I don't much care for polls. Thankfully some of these threads have some interesting discussion and suggestions, and that's really what draws me into them.

Yeah, Susannah was wonderful; I actually got to meet her. Few people remember that on her earliest records she sounded just like Billie Holiday. She once said that she had to stop listening to Billie in order to find her own way.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #40 of 54
I voted for Sarah Vaughan - but that's a vote for early Sarah Vaughan. My second favorite would be early Ella. This is for when they sang the tunes pretty much straight out and didn't muck them up with a bunch of scat (which I don't like very much of). I thought Sarah had a little sweeter rhythm, but both were supurb.

I did not like either of them as much in their later years when their pure tones turned to Gravel Gertie.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #41 of 54
Ella Fitzgerald through and through.

Life changed direction a couple of years back and that coincided with me 'discovering' jazz. I remember being at a friends house and he popped out to the shops for some beers. I turned on the stereo and an Ella CD was in the slot. That was the first time I listened to her. Sitting there all warm and happy I listened cheerfully and by the time my friend returned I was already an Ella fan. Her singing just matched the mood. Love her voice.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #42 of 54
So I'm listening to Ella Sings Rodgers and Hart Songbook and I just can't help feeling that she is IT. Fifty-two years later, she is positively sublime. Even though Rodgers & Hart are not my favorite of all-time, Ella's treatment of their tunes almost make me think I could be happy living the rest of my life with nothing else to listen to.

It's not that other vocalists were/are not supremely talented and enjoyable, it's that Ella had something special I can't define that absolutely knocks my socks off, no matter what she is singing. I can't say that about many others-Sinatra is the only one that comes quickly to mind and maybe not even him.

-Tigger

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #43 of 54
Pure for the voice, Ella, a voice with a smile.
Comtemporary I enormous enjoy Madeleine Peyroux's 'half the perfect world'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back