Who is your favorite composer?
Nov 13, 2003 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
So, who would it be? Right now, I'm in a peculiar Brahms mood, so I'll say...

Brahms.

Also, state your reasons why.

For me, Brahms is my favorite composer because of the romantic beauty of his music. Sometimes, when I listen to Brahms, his music overtakes my will to maintain my manhood, and I cry tears of so many emotions. For now anyway, he is my favorite.

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 70
I have to say Bach seems to always hang in top three no matter who's in the lead, so for durability he's got it. Of course it's the spiritual element (said by an atheist).

Chopin's been displaced recently in the top spot by Glass. Piazzolla (especially piano works) is rising fast though, so may topple topple topple him.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 70
Beethoven... no! Sibelius... no! Beethoven... no! Sibelius...

I'm schizo, I like 'em both.

--Chris

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 70
Bartok -- his string quartets seem to convey his innermost mind, like I am he for the duration of the piece. Shostakovich probably comes in a close second for similar reasons, though his music seems to alternate between being darker or bitingly sarcastic. Brahms, I guess, is my third-favorite composer -- I love his piano trios and quartets, and his orchestral music is very moving and engaging in its more-simple and overt way.

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 70
i am not sure i have a favorite, however to second a vote for bartok i shall weigh in. i have a particular fondness for bartok's use of percussion and piano. his use of piano explicitly as a percussion instrument is seminal when john cage takes it to the next level.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 70
Brahms for me too. For me he connects feelings with nature. I think the Clarinet Quintet is my very favorite piece.

Chopin, a second favorite, is more about interior emotions.

I find that solo piano usually goes best with the Senn 600, so I'm usually using these for Chopin and the K1000 for Brahms.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 70
i like copland. don't know why really. his stuff just gets me going.

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose i like copland. don't know why really. his stuff just gets me going.

I play 'Our Town' once a week!

Nov 13, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 70
Another vote for Brahms -- I don't have the appropriate language to describe why I like him, but a close metaphor is that listening to Brahms is like a leisurely stroll up a hill: there is nothing there to startle or surprise you: same flower, same trees, same hills over the horizon; but the perspective changes with each step you take, and at every turn there is something to delight in.

Also Mozart and Mendelssohn -- for their sheer lyricism and grace.

Among the modernists -- Olivier Messiaen: I think he has invented another world of sound altogether; Alan Hovhaness: for his very individual take on Eastern mysticism (yet I prefer his small scale works-- especially solo piano -- rather than the symphonies); haven't heard too much Takemistu but I like what I heard.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
Another vote for Brahms -- I don't have the appropriate language to describe why I like him, but a close metaphor is that listening to Brahms is like a leisurely stroll up a hill: there is nothing there to startle or surprise you: same flower, same trees, same hills over the horizon; but the perspective changes with each step you take, and at every turn there is something to delight in.

I think you had plenty of language, that was a superb little analogy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back