Who is "Your Band"
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

nikon131

New Head-Fier
Who is your one artist or band that you have followed and devoted to? The one band you will carry thru your life as your favorite, know every lyric to every song? 

For me it would have to be Depeche Mode, I think since the early days of "People are People" in the early 80's they have just been a part of my life and when I first saw them live and saw the fans and the interaction of the music and the band, wow that was a big moment for me. The lyrics have always been about love and religion and I think this has affected me as well. 

I think other band came close NIN, Radiohead... but for me DM just fit. I never hit it off on U2, and am just now getting into Pink Floyd and wow they might be a close second for me...

Curious what others people think? Cheers.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 120
Been a lifelong Beatles fan and I know stuff about them/their music that would seriously classify me as a dork.

But as they are pretty much a given:

Ocean Colour Scene
Paul Weller (all incarnations)

And recent bands that have potential to become special to me:
Kasabian
Razorlight
And for some strange reason I'm almost ashamed to say
Snow Patrol - Gary Lightbody's voice just gets me.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 120
It used to be Nine Inch Nails, though I still follow Trent since I used to be such a big fan. I know the lyrics to ever song he's ever made, even the most obscure b-sides and songs he sang on with different bands. I just ran out of angst and listened to his stuff too much. But I still listen to his albums now and then. He's a very talented musician, probably the most talented single person in the 90s. He made very unique music. But he doesn't have the time or emotional turmoil to put 5 years into an album anymore. Which I think is for the best because he's happy now. Though Year Zero definitely had a lot of work put into it, I'd say it's a worth successor in terms of effort to The Fragile and The Downward Spiral. The sound was very layered and complex, and the ARG was incredibly detailed and fun to look through. But that was before he got married, now he's busy. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 120
Bob Dylan. He just has so much amazing music, his lyrics are so far above anyone else's, and he hits so many genres and themes. He's probably the most adaptable musician I've ever heard, doing everything from rock to jazz, folk to country, and he does each one so well.

I haven't followed him my whole life though, as I just discovered him probably 3 years ago. But ever since then I've wanted to absorb myself in everything Dylan. Watching documentaries about him, reading interviews, researching meanings/back stories of his songs, It's all so fascinating.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 120
Hmmmm, Nine Inch nails is a forerunner for me. But I would have to say Blind Guardian, not because they do anything amazing or they master there music like gods*which they don't* but because I love them. They mix the nerdy with the metal.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 120
For me it'd be The Beatles and King Crimson.

I have done a few calculations and came to the conclusion that over the past 1.5 year I have been listening to the Beatles for an average of almost an hour per day.
Before that I didn't really listen to such music. I can't say whether I will love them for ever, as there were many artists before I have loved to death, but dropped after a month or four.
However the Beatles are definitely the band which I have listened to the most, by far.
King Crimson I love simply because they have some incredibly amazing albums. And Robert Fripp is simply one of the best guitarists to ever walk the earth.
I however doubt that I will love them as much as I do now in a years time. But you never can tell.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 120
Porcupine Tree and King Crimson. Can't really pick just one.

I like the contrast when listening to these two bands. If I get tired of the complexity of King Crimson then I go for the simplicity of Porcupine Tree.. Vice versa

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 120
Linkin Park. I've thoroughly enjoyed even their latest album, A Thousand Suns, which has received a lot of not-so-nice reviews due to its contrast from Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

Been listening to a couple of albums from OneRepublic and Coldplay lately, but I haven't gone in to dig deep into the lyrical poetry.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 120
Nirvana, and not because it's popular but because he's the most dedicated artist I've ever heard. 

I like Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Muse and the Who too. And Alice in Chains not to forget!

Now listening to Ocean Colour Scene and I like it! Thanks :D

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 120
Daft Punk. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 120

Quote:
Linkin Park. I've thoroughly enjoyed even their latest album, A Thousand Suns, which has received a lot of not-so-nice reviews due to its contrast from Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

Been listening to a couple of albums from OneRepublic and Coldplay lately, but I haven't gone in to dig deep into the lyrical poetry.

A Thousand Suns was their first fully mature and intelligent album as a band. They tossed aside their immature old habits and made something truly good. I'm glad they've matured past the band that made "Crawling". 

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 120
I love lots of music. I listen to a wide array of genres. There are bands I've loved at one time that I grew out of or liked less through the years. There are many more than one band I really like. If forced to pick one single band that I believe will always be tops in my book I suppose I'd pick Pink Floyd. Miles Davis came in second.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 120
1 - R.E.M.
1A -  U2

Loved both bands non-stop since the early 80's.  I can't imagine anyone bumping these 2 from my top spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back