Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #136 of 226
Borderline C/B per Estreeter's original post. The upgrade itch along with new toy syndrome regarding Yggy what with all the psositive reviews from those who've heard it is overpowering all of my other senses at the moment making me just want the darn thing more and more :p

Like I said I've been lurking a while on headfi and in my heart know that there is no such thing as 'moderately priced end game' but I am hoping to stay within the realm of reason with regard to price performance for the components I choose to get. I am hoping that Yggy will hold me over for some years to come as far as the dac section goes. I think I am set with my phones and amp and am looking for that next step in resolution with the Yggy. Can't waite 'till it comes out. Hopefully it will be the the linchpin that brings everything together for me.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #137 of 226
Someone asked 'what are C & B' - needed to remind myself what they were, as it all seems so long ago  :D

A.  I've heard a prototype, and I'm sold
B.  Just take my money and send me one
C. I want to read a few more impressions, preferably from longtime reviewers, but so far I'm 90% sold
D. i need to audition this DAC alongside other gear, but at this stage it seems like a strong candidate
E. Depending on the landed price in my country, this is a frontrunner for my next DAC purchase

We're very close now, folks. Friday March 20 here in Thailand, and most of you are no more than 12 or so hours behind me : 11 days till the end of Q1 2015 and about a million impressions from CANJAM 2015. Happy thoughts  :D

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #138 of 226
Those who saw Mike's latest update in the main thread will know that 1 April isnt looking good for Yggy and that a part shortage will mean the first batch will be 140 units at most. Jude let it slip in the Canjam vid that he has 'ordered two' and its fair to assume that Schiit has a few more such pre-orders. I have no problem with that, but I'll be surprised if too many of us hane Yggy in our hot little hands before June. Really happy to hear otherwise.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #139 of 226
I guess that's good and bad news at the same time. Bad that the Yggy production is limited atm but good to know that some are well underway for completion. What's a couple of more months in the overall scheme of things but I'd really like to snipe one of theses 140 if possible. I wasn't aware that there were preorders happening though. When did that start?

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #140 of 226
I guess that's good and bad news at the same time. Bad that the Yggy production is limited atm but good to know that some are well underway for completion. What's a couple of more months in the overall scheme of things but I'd really like to snipe one of theses 140 if possible. I wasn't aware that there were preorders happening though. When did that start?

I think it started the day Jude met the guys from Schiit  :D

I guess we'd be naive to assume that gear wont be 'put aside' on the basis of nothing more than an email or a phone call from someone who has helped the company from it's very humble beginnings, but there is no official mechanism for pre-ordering Yggy. The slip I refer to is in Jude's CANJAM Part 1 vid on the main page. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #142 of 226
Maybe I'm being naive but I'd be disappointed if it were true that Jude had 'ordered' and Schiit put aside two units on this basis.

It's one thing to say "Hey guys I'll definitely take two!" (subtext: when they're up for ordering) and someone at Schiit to say "Sure thing" (we'll look forward to your order) versus (I want two off the first run) and (Yes sir, we'll get right on that).

It was clear Jason went to great lengths to be absolutely fair when he did a special pre-order/beta phase with Rag. I would hope everyone has the same (equal) chance with Yggy, which has possibly generated even more anticipation.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #143 of 226
Maybe I'm being naive but I'd be disappointed if it were true that Jude had 'ordered' and Schiit put aside two units on this basis.

It's one thing to say "Hey guys I'll definitely take two!" (subtext: when they're up for ordering) and someone at Schiit to say "Sure thing" (we'll look forward to your order) versus (I want two off the first run) and (Yes sir, we'll get right on that).

It was clear Jason went to great lengths to be absolutely fair when he did a special pre-order/beta phase with Rag. I would hope everyone has the same (equal) chance with Yggy, which has possibly generated even more anticipation.

1. That's purely my interpretation of a single comment in Jude's CANJAM video - it's there for all to see, but I dont think we need a Royal Commission to determine if Schiit have put one aside for him.

2. Is it really so unbelievable that Jason and Mike might feel a debt of gratitude to the people who helped get their startup to the point where they can release 'statement' components ? They dont hand out review units like candy, but if I had an order from someone that I knew would give my product a lot of exposure via a professionally made video, surely I'd want to fill that order. We're not talking someone at Stereophile or TAS trying to use their influence to get an early production model, or even my compatriot Mr Darko strongly hinting that he cant wait to get his hands on Yggy (he gave Schiit exposure outside Head-Fi long before the others started raving about Bifrost). 

Personally, I dont have a problem with back channels - they exist whether we like it or not, and reading some of the history of the industry it quickly becomes apparent just how few degrees of separation there are between many of the players. I'm as happy to hear Jude's impressions as anyone else on Head-Fi - bring it on. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #144 of 226

I take it you've never met Mike Moffat or Jason Stoddard? I can't imagine the words "Yes, sir" have ever rolled off either of their tongues--unless either or both of them were in the military, and/or unless it was followed by hearty laughter, and perhaps an accompanying hand gesture of sorts. 
biggrin.gif

Schiit has known I've wanted in on this (and the Ragnarok) for a long time now--I believe since before they were even announced. If I'm one of the people who knows early, then, yes, perhaps there's some benefit to that, in terms of how soon I can get in line. Sometimes I just order through their website (a couple of weeks ago, I ordered two Wyrds through their website), and sometimes I let them know I want to order during the course of conversations--and, again, our Ragnarok and Yggdrasil conversations go way back.

Anyway, the Yggdrasil I had is no longer here, so I'm as eager as anyone for the production units to start shipping.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #146 of 226
   want one been waiting for it not worried about price but very scared of the shipping cost

Just go to Schiit's website and add a Rag to your cart - similar weight from memory and the same dimensions - from there you can check out shipping options for your location. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #147 of 226
Exactly, which is why estreeter's "interpretation" didn't ring true to me. A possibility, but on a large internet community like head-fi it's best to keep other possibilities in view as well.

I haven't had the honor of meeting Jason or Mike - I'm in New Zealand - but what you describe is just what I'd expect from their posts :wink: Btw, my research field concerns group dynamics including how groups change and maintain themselves through talk, hence my quick take on how the same words could have different underlying subtexts. Context is everything.

Thanks for the response Jude.

I take it you've never met Mike Moffat or Jason Stoddard? I can't imagine the words "Yes, sir" have ever rolled off either of their tongues--unless either or both of them were in the military, and/or unless it was followed by hearty laughter, and perhaps an accompanying hand gesture of sorts. 
biggrin.gif

Schiit has known I've wanted in on this (and the Ragnarok) for a long time now--I believe since before they were even announced. If I'm one of the people who knows early, then, yes, perhaps there's some benefit to that, in terms of how soon I can get in line. Sometimes I just order through their website (a couple of weeks ago, I ordered two Wyrds through their website), and sometimes I let them know I want to order during the course of conversations--and, again, our Ragnarok and Yggdrasil conversations go way back.

Anyway, the Yggdrasil I had is no longer here, so I'm as eager as anyone for the production units to start shipping.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #148 of 226
For me it's a clear D. And I have a few more in the same catogory, like the Lampi. And since I just love my modded MinimaxPlus, the next Dac I buy must be much better than that ... easily audible too, the kind of diffs even granma hears after 10 secs.
Also E is a big factor like usual. At €2000 it's still into 'think about it' territory, at €3000 I'm out. Don't see why would I pay that much when I already have a Dac I like. Guess the chances to own an Iggy in 2015 are quite low for me.

Now, if someone comes up with a portable that sounds same as good ... much more interesting. (pls dont give me the hugo, imho that thing is overpriced even by audiophile standards)

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #150 of 226
You can thank schiit they did not decide to use 20mm milled aluminum panels for moar better perceptual performance :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back