Who is the conductor most like Toscanini?
Jun 5, 2008 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
I think we can all agree it is not Stokowski - I love his conducting but he often took many interpretive liberties.

I was listening to Fritz Reiner's Beethoven's Sym. # 5 and Sym. # 7 made in RCA Living Stereo with the CSO in the 50s - remastered on CD.

I thought to myself that this is how Toscanini could have been with better stereo recording techniques. I always liked Toscanini's performances.

I think Reiner had a similar style to, and may have even been better than, Toscanini. This style may be particularly good with the romantic period composers, but this restriction may be unfair.

Likely there is no best style - the same work interpreted differently by two different conductors may both be outstanding renditions, though different.

So many knowledgeable people post here - interested in your opinions.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Riccardo Muti is a modern conductor that has the same driven, stick-to-the-score, conducting style. If you like that, I think you will find Muti Philadelphia recordings consistently good, and some of them (Stravinsky Rite, Beethoven 9th) absolutely top-drawer.

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Reiner sounds like a reasonable proposition. Maybe George Szell fits the bill. It's hard to say who today would meet the standards.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Toscanini
wink.gif

but seriously, I'd pick abbado

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks.

I believe the Toscanini signature is precision - of tempo and timing (of instrument introduction, timing of note changes, and timing of the instrument's exiting from the musical presentation).

Symphonic music is complicated, and tight and precise organization of instruments, of fitting parts coherently into the whole, can be difficult.

This what impressed me in Reiner's recording, and is also a mark of Riccardo Muti and Carlos (I think this is his first name) Abbado (I will explore them more thoroughly now).

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 9
In terms of his private life? Definitely Simon Rattle who's long term liaison with Magdalena Kozena compares to Toscanini's affair with Geraldine Farrar.

In terms of music? That would depend on the music. I wouldn't compare Toscanini to Muti who often lacks flair or passion which Toscanini had in spades. For Beethoven, of active conductors today, perhaps Jarvi or Vänskä, both of whom control their orchestras with great precision, have great transparency, but do not sacrifice drama and passion.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Dr Art
Toscaninni has a very recognizeable style with his 1950's RCA mono recordings, don't have any of his 1930-40's work so not sure if these sound different.

I have his Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert etc symphonies and they are very fast and lean in tone......some of the fastest timings available. They have great clarity and "precision" as you say and are very exciting, but on the other hand they can seem cold and impersonal, lacking romantic soul or sweeping emotional content.

I have a version of his Tchaikovsky "romeo" and it is so fast and mechanical sounding that it sounds completely wrong.......this is an extreme example.

I think it is important for collectors to have these 1950's version of the major symphonies for reference of a certain style, but I would never want them as my only version.

I would not compare Muti to Toscanni, Reiner would be closer but nowhere near as focused on "precision" instead being more balanced in presentation.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Stoki and Toscanini were one of a kind conductors. I can't think of anyone that matches their particular styles. Conductors were allowed to be individuals back then.

see ya
Steve

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Great comments. Stokowski had romantic soul in his interpretations more than anyone perhaps, and Toscanini had an analytical precise style, and used fast timing to generate excitement (but this covered up other emotions tha twere not elucidated).

I think the lean tone of Toscanini's records was due to recording deficits in his time.

His "Le Mer" was exciting and powerful due to the fast pace and precise control of dynamics - it remains one of my favorites.

Check out Reiner's Beethoven 5 & 7 on RCA living Stereo - impressive interpretations, particularly with the 7 th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back