who is studying finals???
Apr 24, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 24
I studied for my finals this time last year. I got to the point where I was so sick of studying that I couldn't bear to open another book, yet I was petrified of failing so I carried on like a zombie.

However I have to admit that this it true: studying is so much better than working. (apart from the extra cash to spend on headphones!)

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I studied for my finals this time last year. I got to the point where I was so sick of studying that I couldn't bear to open another book, yet I was petrified of failing so I carried on like a zombie.

I hear that. Man, do I ever. There have been times when just looking at my books is enough to make me panic and have to get out of my room for a while.

Quote:

However I have to admit that this it true: studying is so much better than working. (apart from the extra cash to spend on headphones!)

Totally disagree with this, though!
tongue.gif
I am looking forwards to my 9.5 hours a day of semi-skilled labour with great anticipation. It's so nice to be able to come home at the end of the day and just do whatever the hell I want without worrying about exams or assignments. Doubly so for weekends - I can actually enjoy them now! Especially the long ones. Ah, the 9-8-0 schedule is such a beautiful thing...

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #18 of 24
Last final on Friday, on 20th Century Drama: Modernism and Its Discontents....and I just handed in a 10 page final paper today...freedom is sooo close, but I haven't even started studying for the final on Friday - that's best left for Thursday night

Anyone else here think cramming is totally useless? My philosophy is that I've been to classes all throughout the term, so if I don't know it by now, it's useless to try to know it. I do review concepts and theories, though, just to refresh them, but I never try to learn anything new

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, 201? If so, you're not alone - I'm going for a D for degree in that one too. Sweet zombie jesus, did I ever hate that class. If I have to take it again... man, I'll shoot myself.

yea its my last math course I think and I'm really hoping i will pass it. Honestly I could have tried a lot harder in the course and gotten a B but I just hate math. Looking at the equations makes me angry, it seems like a stupid waste of time to learn some random algorithm to solve a problem that we'll never come across in our future careers (engineering). Because we all know as chemical/material engineers we'll be dealing with a whole lot of imaginary roots...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

lies! at my last job I only worked 2-3 hours of the day on most days, the rest of the day was spent BSing with coworkers, coffee breaks, naps, and visiting other coworkers in different parts of the city. I looked forward to going to work every morning and by the end of the summer I had enough money to buy myself some awesome toys, audio gear and a motorcycle. The only thing that I had to remember at the end of each day was which resturant I was having dinner with my gf that evening!

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone else here think cramming is totally useless? My philosophy is that I've been to classes all throughout the term, so if I don't know it by now, it's useless to try to know it. I do review concepts and theories, though, just to refresh them, but I never try to learn anything new

I completely agree with this. I never study for my courses like physics, math, computer science, because in those I'm mostly learning concepts that I have to apply to problems. We've done those in class, they are understood. But with this biology class I have to take (I complain about it a lot) it's all rote memorization of parts of a cell or comparisons between two thingsor different domains and their traits, I'm not actually learning anything.I'm gonna walk out of that exam and forget everything I "learned".

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In almost all of the science or math courses I've taken, I forget pretty much everything covered in class as soon as I finish the assignments because there's never anything concrete for me to latch on to and remember. So I wind up trying to teach myself the entire course in a couple of days before the exam! Never works that well, either...

However, in my engineering courses, they're always about something practical and physical and real, which gives me something that I can actually link concepts to, and therefore remember them. I like my engineering courses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea its my last math course I think and I'm really hoping i will pass it. Honestly I could have tried a lot harder in the course and gotten a B but I just hate math. Looking at the equations makes me angry, it seems like a stupid waste of time to learn some random algorithm to solve a problem that we'll never come across in our future careers (engineering). Because we all know as chemical/material engineers we'll be dealing with a whole lot of imaginary roots...
rolleyes.gif

Oh, man, you're lucky. I still have the privilege of taking Math 300 if I'm fortunate enough to pass 201. A whole class devoted to partial differential equations, hurray! Man, what possessed me to go into mechanical?

I agree with you about the math, though. I can see how some of the stuff we're learning might possibly be useful, but with the way it's taught it all seems so pointless. I'd rather learn about it in the context of practical applications, rather than learning all this junk completely independently of reality. It's frustrating.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #23 of 24
I had a hell weak last week...got 10 hours of sleep the whole week. 4 exams and 2 lab practicums. One of the 4 exams along with the the 3 practicums was 3 hours. So it is deadweek this week and finals week next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back