Who is getting LOTR: Two Towers DVD tommorow?
Aug 26, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 34
Do you realize that this trilogy has a chance to gross over one billion in box office sales in the US alone?

FOTR - $313,364,114
TTT - $339,734,454
TROTK- $??? (needs to make $346,901,433 to break a billion total)

The first Star Wars trilogy made 1.06 billion so I'm pulling for LOTR to pass it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 34
I'm watching my entertainment spending right now so I will either rent it today at my local Video shop or get it from Film Caddy.

John

Aug 26, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #18 of 34
Those bastards tricked me into buying the theater cut the first time, they aren't going to do it again! I'm waiting for the extended version.

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 34
Surprised to see so many fellows of the academy here. Hypothetically, one could use that little academy copy to help hold out for the extended edition, not that I personally would ever do or condone such a horrible violation of the great and wonderful federal copyright laws of our nation. For once, I actually hope it effects their bottom line, though. I think this kindof release schedule is exploitive.

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 34
I have the 5 disc set on preorder from amazon (the one that comes with a Gollum figure made by WETA and an extra dvd about that figure) but I just know I'll break down and by the 2 discer at Fred Meyer.

I hope at least one theatre in portland shows the entire trilogy back to back to back. I know they are rereleasing the first two in their extended versions in theatres.

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I think I heard it comes as a multi-disk set with some good extras/features? Wonder how good the comentary is.

The director commentary is cool, if you're into that. I never listened to the design team or production team commentaries.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
The director commentary is cool, if you're into that. I never listened to the design team or production team commentaries.

Thanks penvzila. I guess commentaries are like anything else, either
up.gif
or
down.gif
. I hate the ones with more than one person trying to make a point.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 34
i have both the dvd releases of the fellowship of the ring and i plan on buying both of the two towers dvd releases. to me, supporting a great filmmaker is fun, especially when it's like an extra $20 for the ability to have both the director's cut, and extended cuts of a great film trilogy.

that being said, i've had the two towers on dvd (2 dvds actually, so the video isn't downsampled) since early january. i agree with kelly in that the release date is ridiculous, since i can pretty much guarantee the video and audio will be identical in this dvd release as with the academy versions (cept for the occasional "property of.." messages). so that means all's they had to do was make a menu and get together the extras. really not a tough deal.

i'm beginning to really grow weary of the marketing ******** that the riaa/mpaa rely on for selling albums. i've had mp3 releases of albums over six months before they get released. that's just pathetic. why wait so long to release it? because statistics say people buy more albums in the summer. pathetic.

anyway, sorry to derail the thread. i am excited about buying it too. i've seen it at least a dozen times since it came out in theatres, and i still get goosebumps.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #27 of 34
Renting the theatrical cut, will get the 4-disc set when it comes. It's not like I would have watched the movie more than once in the 7 weeks in between the releases.

As a longtime fan of the novel, I felt the extended cut was a much better adaptation, but worse overall as a movie (the pacing is ridiculous). But since it's worth far more to me as an adaptation of a book I love than it is as just another action-adventure flick, I'll take the extended cut any day.

bootman, since the use of special effects is so pervasive, I bet the fullscreen version is just cropped (sounds awful).

jlo (or anyone), where's it advertised that you can rent it for $1 at Blockbuster?

Aug 26, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 34
Comparing the books to the movies is stupid. It's like bashing Ford cars because they don't haul as much as Ford trucks. The story had to be changed because the books as they are are unfilmable.

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
Comparing the books to the movies is stupid. It's like bashing Ford cars because they don't haul as much as Ford trucks. The story had to be changed because the books as they are are unfilmable.

Is this in response to my post? I think it's obvious changes were necessary. I think an adaptation can make changes and also stay true to the spirit of the source material. I think the movies have done a good job so far, and the extended version of movie 1 did a better job than the theatrical cut.

I don't think staying true to the source material is the only thing that matters. I also don't think comparing the books to the movies is stupid.

For that matter, comparing Ford cars to Ford trucks isn't stupid - for instance, someone may have the opinion that Ford makes great trucks but ****ty cars. Bashing Ford cars because they don't haul as much as Ford trucks is stupid - that's like bashing the movies because they're only 11 hours end-to-end and the books give you 30 hours of entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back