Who is cooler- Dylan or Cash?
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Geoff Rymer

500+ Head-Fier
From my point of view this is pretty one sided. Dylan is almost the centre of latter 20th century music for me, but he has nothing as compared to the man in black. I was just wondering how everybody else felt!

You views please!

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 21
Agree with you. As good as Dylan is, his cool factor has cooled (so to speak) in the last couple of decades. I fully expect that to change once he's gone.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 21
Dylan would probably say Cash. And Cash probably would've said...Cash. Btw: I saw Johnny on a rerun of Columbo not long ago. How cool is that?

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 21
I am a great fan of either of them. If any distinction can be made; it appears as if Dylan has written a larger portion of his music as has Cash.

Mood at the time of listening is of course an important part of it, but I would say, to my own tastes anyway; that Johnny Cash put on a more rounded performance.

Kind of the difference in enjoying the music and enjoying the words vs enjoying the music and studying the words.

....yeah; I know that's really stating the obvious.
rolleyes.gif

Cool? Yeah; Johnny Cash was cooler.

.....except real early on. Being an "intellectual" is always cooler than being a "bully"!
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 21
You'll have a chance to find out soon. I read the other day that they are releasing a 2 DVD set of the best of the 1969 Johnny Cash TV show. Included is a duet between Cash and Dylan. I've seen the show. I know who is cooler!

See ya
Steve

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 21
This is not a fair comparison. You cannot compare a living person against a deceased person. But I think I read somewhere that JC has recorded more songs than any other artist. Something like 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back