who is a gmail JEDI MASTER? seriously
Aug 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
okay i read something somewhere and now i cant find it

the article said that, if your address is stevenjchang@gmail.com, any address such as

stevenjchang.information@gmail.com
stevenjchang.justforfun@gmail.com
stevenjchang.freepromotion@gmail.com

will automatically go to my address, meaning you can add anything to you address, as long as it is separated with a (.)

EXCEPT, it wasn't a (.), and its not a (-) or (_)

so what is it, does anyone know?
can anyone validate this even works, or was this a really elaborate dream?
i cant seem to find it on any good tip sites, i thought i had saved the site but i cant find it

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Easiest way to test it is to email yourself.

I can tell you none of those work, I just get a delivery failure message from the server.

^^That does work.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
As Arainach said, the character is a + (plus sign). I use this technique now and then, but unfortunately a lot of registration pages don't accept + as a valid character in an e-mail address.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 10
We care, because...?

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Arainach said, the character is a + (plus sign). I use this technique now and then, but unfortunately a lot of registration pages don't accept + as a valid character in an e-mail address.

True.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We care, because...?

Some people use the "+" feature to try to track if certain mailing lists are giving their email address out to spammers.

Edit: some info about the dot thing - http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...&answer=10313#

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Yesss! gmail Jedi Master am I!
For 800 YEARS have I been training gmail Jedi!
There IS no try!
email or email not!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Actually I really appreciate this thread. For a couple years now I've regretted using so many periods in my email address. I just tested it sans periods, and it sends the mail just fine. Now it will be much easier to verbally tell people my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back