Who introduced you to headphone hi-fi?
May 29, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 48
Me & Head-Fi

They told me to go home and work, so I did. Love the commute.
The operative word was "mute." So hear I am.
Ride was 75mins. one way. Truck had custom install. Comp at home had none.
Now it does. Warm weather is hear. May have to open up the club house (she who must be obeyed discription) at nite again!

Slipkid
Holdin my own Cannes festival.
600smile.gif

May 29, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 48
I was using a pair of Kenwood headphones to edit MP3 files on my computer, and needed a different pair of headphones that would block out some of the background noise in my house. I was doing this work with MP3's to create music discs for work. My work set up was a pair of foam ear plugs in my ears and, a pair of Sony clip ons tucked inside a pair of shooting muffs, powered by a Sony pcdp. I knew this wasn't the greatest set up in the world, but I didn't realize how bad it was. Anyway, I found this place while looking for reviews on closed headphones. Life has been much better ever since.

My fascination with Hi Fi comes from high school and a teacher who had this great sounding stereo system. I can't remember his name. I just remember these huge JBL studio monitors and bass response that made the whole house vibrate.
tongue.gif

May 29, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 48
I was looking for some info on the ipod mini and Googled my way here. Very glad I did, too!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #20 of 48
My husband and his old Beyer dt990 non-pro 600ohm headphones. Oh those were great.
frown.gif

I found Headwize first by Google I think, then I found Head-fi from going to Headroom's website.

May 29, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 48
It was 1975 and I was living on campus at SF State. The guy I lived with had very different tastes in music than I did and I wanted to be able to listen privately. I had already fallen in lust with with stacked double Quads and longed for a pair. I was reading Stereophile and saw the review of the Stax SRX MkIII. (yummm, electrostatics -- as Homer Simpson might say it) Got mine from Garland Audio in San Jose.

May 29, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #22 of 48
A great man by the name of GOOGLE...
redface.gif

EDIT: Oops... mis-read the thread title... thought it said who introduced you to head-fi the forums. I guess I kinda stumble into the head-fi world by myself...

May 29, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 48
I came to headphones from a high-end two-channel background. I needed headphones to keep from disturbing my ex-fiancé who badgered me about playing my gear at any volume louder than a whisper.

So, I bought some headphones (MB Quart QP50s, Senn HD 580s & HD 1000s, among others), listened to them for a while through a receiver, then went looking around the Internet for info about dedicated headphone amps. A few seconds of searching with Google led me to Headwize, then eventually to Head-Fi.

So, technically, nobody introduced me to headphone hi-fi. I began to explore it on my own as a means to remedy a problem.

D.

May 29, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 48
My wallet and my temperament. In college (thirty years ago), I was looking for a good-sounding stereo system I could afford. I bought my brother's component cassette tape player (with headphone out), and got myself a pair of Koss Pro-4AA's to listen to it with. It had no volume control, so I had to record my own cassette tapes at a suitable listening level. I REALLY enjoyed the sound of that system. I also really liked the privacy and intimacy of it. Thirty years (and six+ kids) later, my wallet shows me again that the audio system that sounds as good as I want (and that I can afford) is a headphone system. And still, I really like the privacy and intimacy of it.

May 29, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 48
I searched more info about Grado headphones via Google and found some reviews here....
tongue.gif

May 29, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 48
heh

the United States Army !

When i was down on Ft.Polk in La. (Tigerland in the movie)hanging out with the cotton mouths and gators i was also attempting to learn how to be a proper infantry soldier in the home of the 5th Mech.

AIT (advanced individual training),the next step after BCT (basic combat training) meant you actually got some free time after training and what to do other than get drunker than crap at the "enlisted mans club" ?

MUSIC !

One thing i missed in training was my music and when i marched or ran for miles it was always with a song in my head.

but that was not enough and I really needed a fix of some hard rock !

The only place available to listen to music was at one of the on post libraries where they had these cheesy little "record players"

not turntables folks ,record players

and these record players only had a headphone out ,no speakers-it was a library remember ,and attached to the headphone out was a pair of KOSS PRO 4 AA headphones !

That was it .And there would be about four or so rigs in small isolation booths so you had some small amount of privacy and sound isolation.

And each battalion had a local PX plus there was a mian base px where you could purchase records ,damn cheap too.

So once i realised i could get some records and actually listen to them I was exited as hell to get started ,i still needed my metal fix.

So i put the record on the platter ,put on the cans and...

LET 'ER RIPPPP !

yeah man !

This is sweeeeet !

So i turn that baby up ,close my eyes and.........

some idiot is tapping me on my shoulder !

WHAT !

WHAT DO YOU WANT !

it is a spec 4

"would you turn down the damn music ,other people are trying to read !"

I look around and people are looking at me like oi am some kind of retard and I take off the cans ,turn the volume down to zero and say

"no WAY it was that loud !"

S4 "yes it was and if you don't turn it down you will have to leave"

Now these are sealed cans ,i was in an isolation booth with a steel door with a window in it and they say they can hear my music ?

and loud enough to be disturbed ?

DAMN !

wonder i can hear at all !

But i visited that library a lot and learned to enjoy using headphones at a sane volume and purchased a set not too long after

you guessed it-KOSS PRO 4AA

Those babies did rock out -fat bass,boosted treble,just what a hard rock metalhead buzz job needed to get bouncing !

And while in that same library i came across a copy of Audio Magazine ,no longer in publication,and ended up being getting into audio on a technical and not just "headbanger' level.

That mini library was a damn launch pad for me even though i was too buzzed at the time to know it

icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

May 29, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 48
I guess I have to give credit to Hardforum (.com), where I was recommended the hd497's and Klipsch PM 4.1s. Eventually I was brought to head-fi by MisterX, which is when it all truely started
580smile.gif

May 29, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 48
I stumbled upon the site at google when i was trying to find an amplifier that is portable to power my old sennheiser hd575.

its downhill from there... as per the wallet and bank account i mean ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back