Who here's an engineer?
Oct 24, 2005 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering how many engineers we have on these forums. Please post your field. Right now I'm studying engineering at university, but I'm really starting to have my doubts, so I need some advice. Basically I just realized that starting out the average salary is 30k canadian and maxes out at 50k. 25-42k american..

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Basically I just realized that starting out the average salary is 30k canadian and maxes out at 50k. 25-42k american..

You've got to be kidding me. Unless you're in some bird engineering program or live in small town nowhereville, you will make significantly more than that.

Though I was in compsci, it was part of the engineering faculty and I was acquainted with quite a few engineering students. Most of them are pulling in a good 40-50k and we're only in our mid 20's. As for where they'll top out, depends on field and who you work for, but 70k isn't unusual and I know a few who've gone well above 100k.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 56
Hi, I'm a EE/CS/CE Combo. I can tell you that I still use so much today, 25 years later. Engineering has given me a unique process on analyzing and solving problems. This is probably the best tool I left school with. Today, I work at applying Video Systems over various networks, and provide simple analysis tools for those unfamiliar.

I fully recommend taking as many diverse Engrg. disciplines as possible, especially those dealing with the Earth Sciences and Chemistry. Due to more stress on our nation's resources in the future, Chem-E's will be in greater demand, as well as those skilled in desalinization.

Good luck!

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 56
Electrical here, trying to find a position in the audio electronics industry. I'm also rather confused as to what type of engineering you're doing that maxes out at 50k, given that many types of engineering in the U.S. START at 50k.
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 56
One piece of advice: don't pick a career based on potential salary alone. Doing something you enjoy is worth far more that whatever extra you would make doing something you don't enjoy.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 56
http://www.salaryexpert.com/index.cf...tySourceVar=28

have a look aerius..

RotAtoR- I've heard this again and again, but still for the amount of money and stress i have to go through, I would not go the engineering route. I originally thought I could pull in 70-80, but these figures really leave me disgusted. I would enjoy being a mechanic or trades work just as much, and if they are the same pay then there is really nothing attracting me to engineering. In short, money is not the deciding factor but does play a big role. I would love to become a professional musician, but that doesn't always pay the bills..

of course I would love to be an engineer in the audio industry, but what field is that exactly? Is it a specialization into physics, and then some specific training?

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 56
not technically an engineer just yet, i have my b.s. in engineering physics and i'm working on my phd in mechanical engineering/materials science

i also agree about diversifying, i do my physics/electrical type stuff, as i'm in the MEMS area

as for topping out at 50k canadian, no way, maybe to start you top out at 50, but most of the people graduating from my department with phd's are starting between 60 for a post doc and 75+ if they go to industry

as for worrying about how much you'll make, don't focus on making money, focus on something that can make you money

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 56
I have a similar issue right now too. I still have the option to go into mathematical finance which is extremely well paying, but I really like pure mathematics. I don't have any sort of deep knowledge of math finance but I think it would bore me to tears, and I am leaning towards pure mathematics even though it doesn't lead to wealth.

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 56
I'm a Civil/Structural/Environmental engineer. I work in a consulting firm so I get involve in many field.

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 56
pne, I'm going into Software Engineering (It doesn't count I know), but even my Uni's co-op placements/internships make an average of 35k before even a b.sc. (Canadian Uni)
I dont know what Uni you go to, or what kind of stat's you're looking at, but I really dont know many jobs that start at 30 especially after a Uni Education, especially engineering.

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 56
I am Mechanical Engineering at University of Wisconsin, with a double major in Math

Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
I have a similar issue right now too. I still have the option to go into mathematical finance which is extremely well paying, but I really like pure mathematics. I don't have any sort of deep knowledge of math finance but I think it would bore me to tears, and I am leaning towards pure mathematics even though it doesn't lead to wealth.

Hmm just what I have heard from many people, there are 2 degrees you don't get, Math and Philosophy, unless of course you want to teach...

Don't hate me math majors, I am one too

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I am Mechanical Engineering at University of Wisconsin, with a double major in Math

Hmm just what I have heard from many people, there are 2 degrees you don't get, Math and Philosophy, unless of course you want to teach...

Don't hate me math majors, I am one too

There may not be many options for someone with a bachelors in math, but there are plenty of options for someone with a higher degree.

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 56
why then are you in engineering if you dont enjoy it or the work required or the prospective pay?

anyways all of my friends who have graduated engineering (chem e, mech e, civ e, ee) have gone on to good jobs with great pay... btw, the mech e happens to have the cushiest job right now

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 56
I have an engineering degree, but I work in software. I make all my own hours, work from home when I feel like it,(which I am doing now) and am making plenty of money.

What I like about software is that the field is relatively new and there are still chances for small teams to make good product. For me, the degree is just one more weapon in the arsenal of professional freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back