Who here tried to make their own ear-pads?
Jun 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Banned at his own request
I always wanted to do this, since my previous headphones come with paper-thin "leatherette" ear-pads. I can get some fabric or velvet.
Do I need to just rip the foam out of the older pads and sew the fabric on? I tried 3 times and they all went deformed.
(I also searched extensively on the Web; no results).

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 5
What do you mean, deformed? It's easy to make new pads, and sewing isn't all that neccesary unless you are going to sell them / or are fixing something truly expensive. That's just a suggestion though.

Do you have some pictures of your attempts? Maybe then it'll be possible to see where it all went wrong.

My suggestion would be to use these old pads as a template for making new ones.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 5
I made some out of Memory foam for my SR-325i, but they look incredibly bad so I won't post a pic.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 5
I kind of want to increase the padding or something for my ATH-AD700. My left ear just barely rubs the speaker after a few hours of wear. Also, while the velvet feels good it's kind of a pain to keep clean. I've never modded headphones, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to start.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 5
The first thing to consider is that the pads do affect the sound. A lot. Things to think about are distance to the element as well as how well the pads seal / absorb / let through, reflect back into the element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back