Who here is a high school audiophile?
Sep 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #376 of 1,284

Quote:
Yea, I'm somewhat in that same situation I guess, the fact that each purchase here at some point, gets so expensive that it gets harder and harder to justify spending hundreds on a new headphone. For me, I had to sell all of my audio equipment to fund for the SE535s, which are obviously pretty expensive. Of course everyone I know thinks that I'm stupid and it was a waste of money, but being able to walk to and from class after having a long day, studying for hours on end, and being able to distance myself from others and hear someone sing their heart out ANYWHERE I AM, IMO, justifies that 500 dollar price tag. 

I don't think that it will ever get any more extreme than a complete setup costing over 600 dollars until I graduate and get a job; I mean it can happen but I just don't think anymore spending on my part such as an amp for the phones (they sound amazing out of my phone and I have delven into the portable/desktop amp area before) would justify that high price and small increase in SQ. 

But, as we all know, this hobby is amazing and, IMO one of the best, can't simply be dropped by the flip of the hat. 

On a historical note, I remember my first pair of good IEMs, the Super.Fi 5 v2s. I loved those things to death. I still hear songs today that I remember playing over and over on those headphones. Good times. 

The SuperFi 5 v2! I have those! Thanks to my SR225i I now don't enjoy music with those wretched IEM's. *sad face*

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #377 of 1,284
I'd never consider myself an Audiophile but I got into audio gear in year 10 at High School - around the age of 15.
My biggest problem is having to buy gear outright before having a chance to hear or even see it. So I'm forever buying and selling new gear to try and tame my curiosity.

I've hopefully finished my portable rig when my HM-602 arrives (at least for awhile) and will spend more money on my home set up.
It's all good fun and that's what it should be about.  
beyersmile.png

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #378 of 1,284

Quote:
Yea... to be honest I have 300 laying around now.... I really thought about picking up some W3s today to match the 535s you know? However the EQ fixes my treble/bass craving very nicely so I doubt that will happen.

What?

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #379 of 1,284

Quote:
I'd never consider myself an Audiophile but I got into audio gear in year 10 at High School - around the age of 15.

beyersmile.png

Definitely read that as you were in your tenth year of HS. Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega-Turbo Senior, perhaps.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #380 of 1,284

Quote:
Definitely read that as you were in your tenth year of HS. Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega-Turbo Senior, perhaps.

That's funny since I totally read it as age 10, despite him saying he was 15. That's the year I got my MS1s! (Well, technically I got them June of my freshman year. Oh well. I also got my Shures at around the same time.) The descent continued steeply from there.

Don't stay here. Pretty soon you'll also have a few other holes in your wallet shaped like pens, watches, bags, razors, bicycles, knives, flashlights.... Anything REALLY expensive.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #381 of 1,284

Quote:
What?

Yea... to be honest I have 300 laying around now.... I really thought about picking up some W3s today to match the 535s you know? However the EQ fixes my treble/bass craving very nicely so I doubt that will happen.

300 bucks laying around and was thinking about buying the Westone 3's. Match as in different sound signatures; the W3s for rap, electronic, etc. and the SE535s for classical, r and b, acoustic, etc.

The EQ on the Samsung captivate is very good though and when i am listening to pop or rock or any electronic heavy stuff, the EQ is good enough. 

I was just typing fast and getting my thoughts in
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #382 of 1,284
    Quote:

Ha good old Australian schooling system confusing the Americans. Here in Aus you start high school in year 7 and finish in year 12. Primary school goes from year 1 to 6.
So it was mid-High School when I first bought my Bang and Olufsen A8 earphones... my first step away from stock earbuds.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #383 of 1,284

Quote:
    Quote:

Ha good old Australian schooling system confusing the Americans. Here in Aus you start high school in year 7 and finish in year 12. Primary school goes from year 1 to 6.
So it was mid-High School when I first bought my Bang and Olufsen A8 earphones... my first step away from stock earbuds.

That's how my crazy US high school worked. It varies quite a bit here.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #384 of 1,284
AM I THE ONLY SANE ONE LEFT???? Oh wait, there's still Redshifter. I'll go chill in the awesome-person lounge with him.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #386 of 1,284

Quote:
     Quote:

I think I'm missing something here... but what on earth are you talking about?
confused_face_2.gif

Hehehe.

Redshifter made a post recently! I was shocked. We should run off to happy/sane land in the Outside of the Asylum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back