Who here is a high school audiophile?
Sep 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #361 of 1,284
I'm a high-schooler even though everything is done at school after two weeks and I'll graduate at Fall.
I'm 18 and from Finland.
Equipment: Grado rs1i, headstage arrow amp (actually, waiting for it) and iPod touch + lod

My school has many musicians, some of them are awesome, but I know none else that would be classified as head-fi'er. Everyone has sucky IEMs and I have only seen one skullcandy headphones. I'm kinda "freak" to use headphones built out of mahogny but some say it makes sense since I'm doing double-degree, which means that I'll also graduate from tech school as a carpenter. I made a big table out of mahogny at tech school last year
smile.gif

I can't listen to bad headphones so I'll use grados wherever I go but they fit my style so they don't look stupid.

At least my music teacher and her husband are hi-fi'ers so I'll get interesting discussions with them.
I could speak a lot about my music taste and such but I think there's nothing important to add so... Nice to join the group of high school audiophiles
dt880smile.png

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #362 of 1,284
Wait, so you graduate from HS with a degree in carpentry? Can you join the trade immediately? If so, that's pretty sweet, I'm fascinated by the school systems of other nations.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #363 of 1,284
Yea, I do. It's not usual to do double-degree since it requires a lot of work but it opens many doors for future, which is great for someone like me who doesn't know what he'll do after school ^^ Of course it would be dope if I'd specialize in carpentery but meh, I lost my intrest years ago.
What do you mean by joining the trade ? Start working ? I have already worked in a workshop for a year and I've been doing HS-degree at the same time.
Finnish school system isn't that complicated for me but when my friend explained german school system I got confused.

Quote:
Wait, so you graduate from HS with a degree in carpentry? Can you join the trade immediately? If so, that's pretty sweet, I'm fascinated by the school systems of other nations.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #364 of 1,284
After venturing I'm moving from prospective high-school audiophile into team minimal (probably an ipod classic/rockboxed iriver h340 > jh16) and expanding hobbies to photography.

Headphones are fun but I've decided they're not for me. Might delve into them later in life, however. I have a long time to go. :)

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #365 of 1,284

Quote:
After venturing I'm moving from prospective high-school audiophile into team minimal (probably an ipod classic/rockboxed iriver h340 > jh16) and expanding hobbies to photography.

Headphones are fun but I've decided they're not for me. Might delve into them later in life, however. I have a long time to go. :)

Anything with a JH16 =/ minimal, dude...

And Minazki, yeah, I mean that you can start working right away with that. In America almost all high schools are strictly college prep with minimal chances to learn trades, so that's pretty different to me.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #366 of 1,284
I got the bug at 16 when I heard my friend's grado SR325. I bought a Alessandro MS1 the next day. I always hated the sound of ibuds when I first bought my iPod but I heard Bose 'phones and they didn't exactly wow me for the price they asked. I didn't even know of any other brands other than Grado/Alessandro and Bose til I stumbled upon head-fi.
redface.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #368 of 1,284
turn 17 on the 16th. Gear - Bose on ear headphones (My first decent headphones, before i knew any other brand) , Sansa Fuze, Image S4s , Cowon s9, and just recently UM2s. Still starting out on the venture into amazing audio.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #369 of 1,284
Quote:
I have my rig with me, and I really don't listen very often. My bed is about 1.5 feet too far from my amp for the cable to reach comfortably, and since that's where I used to do most of my listening, the time has really gone down. You would go into convulsions if you saw how my speakers were placed right now...

I know what you mean. I usually just sit on my bed and work from my laptop. And headphones just don't feel right for the environment. I just want to blast it - the walls of my dorms are thick enough to absorb most of the noise and my suitemates are cool enough to deal with the rest - after a tiring day at class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly that's EXACTLY how I felt. It's 3 weeks into college now and I just last week, sold my desktop rig (k702, amp) in place of some Shure SE535s. I should get the IEMs today and don't get me wrong, I loved the desktop setup, but whenever I'm in my room I am studying and I can't do that with music. I'd rather be able to be out and relax while listening to music than sitting in the same seat at the same desk I do for 4 hours a day anyway. 

Yup. All my listening is done on the go now from my iPhone with some uber-cheap Sennheiser buds, or in bed with my M50.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #371 of 1,284

Quote:
Minimal in terms of not mucking around with 4 different IEMs and then DAC/AMP combos etc..

The best, in a nice small package.

Yea... to be honest I have 300 laying around now.... I really thought about picking up some W3s today to match the 535s you know? However the EQ fixes my treble/bass craving very nicely so I doubt that will happen.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #372 of 1,284
I have the money and all to buy my headphone stuff. 
I just can't justify buying it. And neither can I face my parents if they look and see nothing is left in my bank account.

I'll wait until my report cards come in so I don't feel so bad. They let me buy a set last time I showed them it. ^^

I'm looking for cheaper hobbies however. Currently, computer parts and head-fi is too expensive for me. Maybe painting or something. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #373 of 1,284
haha I'm no HS'er any more :)
graduated at July :D
now I'm just working and having fun till March/April when I join the army.. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #374 of 1,284

Quote:
I have the money and all to buy my headphone stuff. 
I just can't justify buying it. And neither can I face my parents if they look and see nothing is left in my bank account.

I'll wait until my report cards come in so I don't feel so bad. They let me buy a set last time I showed them it. ^^

I'm looking for cheaper hobbies however. Currently, computer parts and head-fi is too expensive for me. Maybe painting or something. 

You should start playing an air-guitar
biggrin.gif

I recently bought my Grado rs1i's and they costed 500€(include shipping) and when my father saw it from my bank account he started complaining how I use all my money on "stupid computer stuff". I explained that they were headphones and it costs that much since I also ordered amps for 2 friends
wink.gif

I couldn't be happier with my phones and since I earn all my money myself I think it's justified that I can also use it as I wish, of course I don't spend all of my money.
Now I did set my bank-account so that my parents can't see it since I'm full-aged. My whole family is so non-musical that none understands my hobby.

Last week I got around 10 cds, headphones and 3 band t-shirts by post, next week an amplifier will come. I work at weekends at post-office and my co-workers always ask why so much stuff is coming in to me. It's seasoned, sometimes I have long time when I order nothing.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #375 of 1,284
Yea, I'm somewhat in that same situation I guess, the fact that each purchase here at some point, gets so expensive that it gets harder and harder to justify spending hundreds on a new headphone. For me, I had to sell all of my audio equipment to fund for the SE535s, which are obviously pretty expensive. Of course everyone I know thinks that I'm stupid and it was a waste of money, but being able to walk to and from class after having a long day, studying for hours on end, and being able to distance myself from others and hear someone sing their heart out ANYWHERE I AM, IMO, justifies that 500 dollar price tag. 

I don't think that it will ever get any more extreme than a complete setup costing over 600 dollars until I graduate and get a job; I mean it can happen but I just don't think anymore spending on my part such as an amp for the phones (they sound amazing out of my phone and I have delven into the portable/desktop amp area before) would justify that high price and small increase in SQ. 

But, as we all know, this hobby is amazing and, IMO one of the best, can't simply be dropped by the flip of the hat. 

On a historical note, I remember my first pair of good IEMs, the Super.Fi 5 v2s. I loved those things to death. I still hear songs today that I remember playing over and over on those headphones. Good times. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back