Who hasn't upgraded headphones in more than 2 years?
Aug 31, 2001 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tooler

New Head-Fier
I bought my Grado SR80s 20 months ago and I still enjoy them. I doubt I'll buy new headphones for a while. Anyone else found a nice headphone and stuck with it?

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 24
Well, I'm not part of this two-year club.....but I think I will be in 23 months. Seriously - I am THAT happy with my Senn. 495s.....just upgrade my PCDP, and after that, all I want to is get more music.

Like.....50 more CDs.

Thank god for used CD r/etailers!

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 24
I'm in the two-year club! Well, not anymore, but from my sophomore to senior year in college, I stuck w/ my Senn 580s. Then I got some Etys because I needed something that would block out sound. And discovering Headwize & now Head-fi hasn't helped...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 24
Hmm definitely not near two years, but I'm not in any upgradoing mood after I got Ety's and DT931, except when I see something with a ridiculously good price...I'm just a sucker for sales. Plus the raving about ART D/IO has my curiousity, but that is just other components which I've kept relatively the same for a long time as well. I'll have to wait for my Denon-370 to break or something before I actually justify upgrading otherwise I'd have no where to put it or use it, and its too bothersome to sell.

So as long as I keep missing out on those Grado HP-X deals or insanely cheap hi-end Grados that joe or someone else would snatch away from me anyhow...I'm very safe.

Aug 31, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 24
Um hmm... I think I am is in a 5 month club with my SR80s...
1.5 month with DT831... and 1 week club with Etys
biggrin.gif

Sadly enough...
1 hour club with MX500s
3 month club with E848s
and...
everyone run away!
8 month club with jensen jm15 street styles (the dark days)

Grr... must.. get.. better.. source.. sony.. scd-333es.. mmmmmm... more.. cds.. too... mmmmm

Aug 31, 2001 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 24
Give me about a year or so . . . (I hope)

Right at the start of my freshman year of college (two years ago), I purchased a set of Grado sr-60s. Turns out I hated my computer speakers, and ended up using the grados all the time (except when cleaning my room or sorting laundry).

Then at the start of my sophmore year (one year ago), I gave my grados to my sister and bought a Sennheiser hd-580. It is much more comfortable, especially since I wear my cans all day long. This one oughta last me a while (unless I give in and buy a set of Etys).

I really need to upgrade my source now. I built a Cmoy over the summer, but I'm still using my computer's cruddy soundcard as my cd player. I'll probably grab something real cheap, say a DCM-370.

(and I really must resist the Etys)

Aug 31, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 24
As of right now I can't say I've not bought phones in more than 2 years, but I'm sure I will be soon. With my Grado RS-2s I am finally happy with the sound I get. I think to myself, "I can live with these". I have no desire to upgrade like I did with my other phones. It will be two years two years after I get a pair of etys, and then that's it for phones, unless...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 24
Freakin' 10 year club with my Sony MDR-V6s
smily_headphones1.gif
My parents didn't know what they were promoting at the time... and now it's two years with my Sennheiser HD580s (and still no amp!).

Aug 31, 2001 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 24
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people have owned headphones for 5 or 10 years, but the point of the question was to determine if anyone could control themselves for more than 2 or 3 years without buying a new pair of headphones since the time they discovered HeadWize/Head-Fi. I'll admit I've built too many headphone amps, but I've settled on my Grados for a while.

Jon, did you buy those HD580s before you found HeadWize, or did that forum influence you?

Aug 31, 2001 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 24
I was stuck with my Sony MDR-Crap023 (bought around 1996) when I one day came across HeadRoom's website (the old version). I think that I was originally looking for gaming headphones for Quake 2 or something.. Well I said to myself that I would buy some decent headphones, but I never did.

Well this headphone craze has started again for me...with my discovery of headwize and head-fi. I bought the Koss UR20 and returned it. Tried my friend's Sennhieser's (545 or 565s?), but didn't like them that much. Now I think I'll go with the Ety's...

So, yeah, I haven't upgraded my phones in a long time.

Aug 31, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 24
I went 1 1/2 years on my Koss A/200's while on Headwize the whole time (ok, i bought some sportapros as well, but they werent an upgrade) , and probably would have reached the 2-year mark if i wasn't offered NICE headphones in a trade this month.

Aug 31, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 24
I sure hope I won't get in the club
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm damn happy with my HD565's, but I also want a pair of closed cans (bus, train etc, beyer 770 perhaps) and probably some Grado's (for those female vox, prolly keep it a bit lower end cause of the limited use, might just get a new sr60...) and a Stax
smily_headphones1.gif

my source needs a good upgrade tho.

and I'm flat broke :/

and I need more CDs
cool.gif

but I do want to accomplish this within two years (within two weeks actually, but I'll be a bit more realistic than that
tongue.gif
)

Sep 1, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 24
Well let see,

1: March I bought the Sennheiser 495 but didn't use them for a month

until

2: I got my Musical Fidelity X-Canv2 in April

3: in May I got a pair of Sennheiser 580

4: in June I got the X-PSU for the X-canv2 and a pair of Ex70s for my MD

5: August, two days ago I ordered a pair of Sennheiser 600.

So in 4 months and a half, I went from no headpones to X-Canv2/X-PSU with Sennheiser 495/580/600. I got to stop, and save some money for college next year.

Sep 1, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 24
I went 9 months with my SR80's. We'll see how long I last with my AKG's (I have a feeling it will be a while; for me the cheapest competition is the CD3000).

Sep 1, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 24
I got my HD-580 and Etymotics in 1994. The HeadRoom Supreme and Panasonic portable CD also came in 1994.

This year's been the big upgrade year: AKG K1000 with SAC amp, Sony CD-1700, and the HD-600. I also just received a new Max with stepped attenuator from HeadRoom.

--Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back