Who has the Sennheiser MX W1!?!?
Jan 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #46 of 70
Bumping for great justice!

Seriously, any update on these? Still good?

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #47 of 70
No new input on these?

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #49 of 70
Hi I have several negative issues with regard to the MXW1.

The top coating of the leather case that the docking station fits in is peeling off. , One of the earbuds came apart leaving the steel cover, a plastic membrane and rubber retaining ring in my ear and now no longer works at all. The transmitter now only holds a charge of approx 5 hours. I contacted Sennheiser about this and judging from the reply received from them they do not want to know and are blaming these problems due to my MXW1 being counterfeit. They were purchased from a private buyer on ebay in 2009 who was unable to use them due to comfort issues. I am 100% sure that they are the genuine product and that the problems are due to long term usage issues but Sennheiser will have none of it.  In any case I was not aware that they were any counterfeit MXW1s on the market.

A further issue with the MXW1 is you can only replace the earbud batteries yourself. The transmitter and docking station has to be sent back to Sennheiser for battery replacement, which is strange because you can purchase the batteries for both of them here http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/headphone-spares/sennheiser-en/batteries/  which is according to the website the no.1 supplier in the UK of official Sennheiser spare parts

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #52 of 70
Found a local store that's selling these for under $200. Should I get these?

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #53 of 70
I have a pair for over 4 years they are genuine, i used the crap out of them and they are be BEST sounding earbuds ever!
no questions asked.
they rival my bose qc15s.
and no i just called sennheiser us and they are discontinued almost a yr now because the battery company went out of business.
so if you can get them cheap buy it and get extra set of batteries for the earbuds especially!!
tab@tmsphoto.com

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #54 of 70
What? How can I get extra batteries if their out of production?!? What's the battery life of the batteries they come with?

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #55 of 70
Tobias-M is 100% correct. Sennheiser it would appear has abandoned all the people who have supported and paid top dollar for the MXW1 for the sake of a couple of batteries costing approx $20. Without these small batteries the MXW1 is a very expensive paperweight!. According to Sennheiser  the sole reason that the MXW1 has been discontinued is that the factory which supplied the ear bud batteries to Sennheiser has ceased trading. However for $200 I do not think you can go wrong I would think that some desperate owners of the MXW1 who have dud ear bud batteries and can no longer use them because of this issue would pay that just to get their hands on the batteries!.  The battery life from new when fully charged is approx 2.30 hrs but they can be charged with the docking station.. However mine are on their last legs and only last approx 1hr. If anybody does know somewhere that has old stock of these batteries I would be very grateful for that information..

May 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:
Tobias-M is 100% correct. Sennheiser it would appear has abandoned all the people who have supported and paid top dollar for the MXW1 for the sake of a couple of batteries costing approx $20. Without these small batteries the MXW1 is a very expensive paperweight!. According to Sennheiser  the sole reason that the MXW1 has been discontinued is that the factory which supplied the ear bud batteries to Sennheiser has ceased trading. However for $200 I do not think you can go wrong I would think that some desperate owners of the MXW1 who have dud ear bud batteries and can no longer use them because of this issue would pay that just to get their hands on the batteries!.  The battery life from new when fully charged is approx 2.30 hrs but they can be charged with the docking station.. However mine are on their last legs and only last approx 1hr. If anybody does know somewhere that has old stock of these batteries I would be very grateful for that information..

Are you saying that there are people who have tried using alternative batteries and have yielded no results (or worse, destroyed their MXW1's) ? Because according to a response to a review on Amazon, someone said you can search for "LIR2032" on google and field alternatives. Is that not the case, or am I misunderstanding you completely?

May 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #58 of 70
I am almost certain that an alternative battery will not work, but on the other hand I know of nobody who has tried an alternative battery. The LR2032 may work having the same voltage/mAh but I have found it is to thin to make positive contact in the battery compartment and will not charge. The LR2032 is [size=8pt]20mm x 3.2mm the MX W1 battery is 20mm x 5mm. The only way I can see it working is if the negative contact could be raised approx 2mm, one way of doing this would be to drop a tiny lump of solder on the negative contact so that the battery is lifted up so the LR2032 then makes positive and negative contact in the battery compartment. The problem that I can see is because these contacts are tiny and of course very fragile any tampering could result in damaging the earphone beyond repair.  If you have chance at a boxed set for $200 then snap them up but check the condition of the earphone batteries first before buying.[/size]
 T

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #59 of 70
20mmx5mm?????????????????? Do you have an original MX W1 ? The original one has the battery size 12x5mm. If you can't find the original battery you can use two batteries LIR1220. Each battery LIR1220 has the size 12x2mm so you need to make the battery pack with two LIR1220. Place the batteries face to face (+) to (+). Solder (-) to (-) with the thin isolated wire. Place this pack to the battery compartment. Glue the soft rubber onto the battery compartment lid ( thickness about 1-1.5mm depends on the type of rubber). The result is: 20mah 3.6v ( two 10mah 3.6v LIR1220 ). To compare to original battery 40mah 3.7v your battery pack is two times lower with mah and working time too. But it is better than nothing.

P.S. To solder the wire to the battery use 1 drop of soldering flux ( zinc chloride soldering flux 430g/l used for plumbing works ). The soldering process should be less then 3 sec. to avoid overheating the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back