Who has heard the MHDT labs Renaissance II Non-OS DAC? (or any other tube non-os dacs
Aug 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
Since this hobby never ends, I am wondering how a more analog sounding DAC would go with my LDII+ and Gilmore Lite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDA1543-Non-OS-V...QQcmdZViewItem

The Renaissance II looks like a really high quality product, I havent seen an in depth reviews of it though. I am sure it would be a very laid back sound compared to the 4 DACs on the Elite Pro I am using.

Plus there is this empty spot on my Belkin PureAV Power Center that is just perfect for the Renaissance
smily_headphones1.gif

So anyone heard it? Or another other similar dacs you can recommend?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the MHDT Paradisea and it is really good. I've never heard the Renaissance, from what I've been able to conclude by reading a lot of stuff, the Renaissance will probably be less resolving and with less details then the Paradisea. The Renaissance is based on the TDA1543 chip and the Paradisea on the TDA1545. Also, my Paradisea gained quite a bit of sound quality when I exchanged the original tube for an expensive Western Digital tube. Hope this helps a bit.

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the Digital Renaissance I, and I really enjoy it. It's quiet, it's articulate, and it never bothers my ears. I don't have the resources any longer to consume audio equipment like sushi (and haven't been able to attend any meets yet), so I can't really give you any head-to-head comparision notes. The best thing I suppose I can say is that once I got it I've stopped looking for a better DAC.
-Dan

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
I have the Digital Renaissance I, and I really enjoy it. It's quiet, it's articulate, and it never bothers my ears. I don't have the resources any longer to consume audio equipment like sushi (and haven't been able to attend any meets yet), so I can't really give you any head-to-head comparision notes. The best thing I suppose I can say is that once I got it I've stopped looking for a better DAC.
-Dan

Thanks for the reply!

So can you compare it to your previously owned DACs? How is it similar different? Does the tube make it sound like a Tube amp would?

Thanks again.

Aug 22, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 7
I use the Renaissance with a tube amp (PPX3) so the end result is quite "tubey". I think most of the character of the sound comes from the amp though. I was serious about not having budget to play with different dac's though. I don't have a list of previous DAC's to compare to. My other DAC is the Digital Dialogue II, and the Renaissance has a lower noise floor than that DAC, but I have never done a head-to-head with the two. The last DAC I used before that was the one build into the Behringer EQ, and the Renaissance is better than that. My speaker rig today doesn't use an external DAC, as the Panny receiver essentially -is- a big DAC. I know it must be hard for you (being in Alaska) to try out a bunch of DACs before popping for one. I will say that on the business side of the deal that the guy that makes these DACs ships them quickly and I haven't heard any complaints about him being flakey or shipping broken or poorly packed units. He's good from that aspect of the purchase for sure.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back