Who has compared a Millet Hybrid to a M^?
Feb 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my M^3 (627/637 op amps, tread power supply) for a couple of years, and like it.

I need a second amp to be used only for gaming. I have a board and parts for a Millet Hybrid.

Can anyone who has experienced both amps suggest what is better for music, and what is better for gaming?

I'm trying to decide now, as it will affect how I case up the millet hybrid.

My main cans are HD580's. I also have HD590's and will probably end up with AKG 701's in the near future.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 14
I've connected my XBox360 to my computer monitor, and need a headphone amp for the Xbox audio.

My music set-up is in another room. I'm too lazy to move the amp all the time.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 14
The Millett is more of a purist, musical amp. The tubes impart a special flavor to music, but there is little that you can do to accentuate certain frequencies for special effects. Much of the power requirements are wrapped up in the heater supply, too. Gaming will be at a disadvantage for those reasons. Plus, the best sound doesn't result for approx. 2+ hours after the tubes have been turned on. Don't get me wrong: I love the Millett, but it doesn't seem a good choice for gaming.

However, the M3 has power in spades, with no loss of high end detail, period. Hopefully, yours has the Bass Boost, too. If not, it may be a simple matter to modify it for that - the positions have always been on the basic board. So, you can accentuate the lower frequencies for special effects. Being totally solid state, it also is relatively instant-on, which may also be an advantage for gaming.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Having also built both, I'd have to agree the Millett would be the lesser choice for gaming, but not sure which I'd prefer for music, especially with the 637/627 opamps. The Millett was more harmonic / lush, but the m³ had more output (a biggie for me).

Ultimately, neither worked for me, but both have their strengths. Perhaps you should try both as you need and post your impressions - we might well be surprised at what you determine to be the best options, because, as always, it depends on what sounds best to you.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having also built both, I'd have to agree the Millett would be the lesser choice for gaming, but not sure which I'd prefer for music, especially with the 637/627 opamps. The Millett was more harmonic / lush, but the m³ had more output (a biggie for me).

Ultimately, neither worked for me, but both have their strengths. Perhaps you should try both as you need and post your impressions - we might well be surprised at what you determine to be the best options, because, as always, it depends on what sounds best to you.

I am curious as to why neither worked for you. I have a DT-880 (2003) and Grado SR-60 with bowls and have always been interested in building these two amps, especially the M^3. I am currently using a Headroom Total Airhead and am looking for an upgrade.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwlinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious as to why neither worked for you. I have a DT-880 (2003) and Grado SR-60 with bowls and have always been interested in building these two amps, especially the M^3. I am currently using a Headroom Total Airhead and am looking for an upgrade.

I loved the tubes, but Millett Hybrid didn't have enough output, so, keeping the Millett signature, I went with the Wheatfield HA-2, a honkin tube beast also designed by Pete. Alas, though SET was great, in a dynamic way, I have been seduced by the call of the electrostatics...

But, by all means, build them both, as it is great fun, and might well meet all your needs.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 14
Where can I get the kits?

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 14
They're DIY, so kits aren't offered - although, Jrossel has an interest thread going for M3 kits on the Headwize Marketplace.

Everything you wanted to know about the M3 is at Amb's site (the designer):
AMB Laboratories DIY Audio

Everything you wanted to know about the Millett is at:
http://www.diyforums.org

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 14
To me a tube amp is always better for gaming, because it really blooms and makes you think you are actually there - inside the game. it expands the soundstage and it's just so wonderful. a solid state is what i often prefer for music, though, because of its faster transient attack.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 14
I have both as well, and I'm not really sure what to recommend either--I like both. I agree that the M^3 has more power and the bass boost could be helpful in games. As far as which is better for music, I really think that's personal preference. I really prefer my M^3 for music, but others may prefer the Millett. If you can, go ahead and build them both, then try both in each situation--if nothing else, it's just nice to have two different sounding amps for different moods.

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks all, some good suggestions.

My main cans are HD580's. I've heard it said that a Millet Hybrid isn't the best match for HD580 and HD6X0 headphones. Anybody have any views on this?

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 14
I've used both amps with HD580's. I absolutely love them with the M^3, but I didn't think it sounded bad with the Millett either. My personal impression was that the Millett is a smooth, laid-back amp, and matched with the relatively smooth, laid-back 580's, it seemed too much for my tastes. The M^3 didn't seem to "round off the corners" like the Millett, but just really tightened things up and in my opinion, really made the 580's shine. Frankly, I really think it will be a personal preference thing though. I absolutely love the M^3, others may not, or may prefer the sound of the Millett. Just my two cents.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 14
I used both with HD600, and would have been content, IF only I'd had more gain... alas, then I heard a Raptor... and, poof, all was lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back