Who has actually A/B'ed the PortaPros and SR-40s ...
Apr 22, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 8
The Porta Pros are all about warmth and bass, while the SR-40 presentation is shifted in favor of the upper midrange/treble.
The source (PCDP, MD, iPod) does not change the sonic signature of each.
Totally different sound.......to my ears, of course. ;D

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 8
I compared Portapro and SR60 side by side.
I sold the SR60 and kept the Portapro.
They both sound very well, yet different. But SR60 is just too uncomfortable for my head. So I have to let it go.

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 8
I compared portapros and sr40s side by side. I liked the sr40's better even though I am not a big fan of the Grado sound. The SR40s seemed more detailed and reproduced the delicacies of high frequncies better. The portapros are nice phones for what they are, but given a choice, I'd take the Sr40s (and I did)

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 8
i own both. they're both good, just depends on taste. personally, i think the sr-60 is leaps and bounds more enjoyable than the porta pro, but the sr-40 is on the same level to me.

Apr 22, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 8
brent_mr2
HI: I just got back from a friends house and we a/b the two cans. The sound was very close giving the Sr-40 the edge in detail. But because of the small headband and small ear pads and much smaller when folded and lighter portapro and cooler in summer the portapros won buy a lot.
PS
Neither of the two cans sounded anywhere near as good as the modified eggo D66.

Apr 23, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Can say that I A/B'd the SR60s and PortaPros... THought the Portapros while nice were to warm and did not have the clarity (read high-end detail) that SR60s have. That, and I didn't like how the metal hairband ate my hair...ocuh! Sold the PortaPros...

Bobes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back