Who Has 32ohm DT880s?
May 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

upstateguy

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the '03 250 ohm version.

Tell me about your 32ohm version.  Where do you use it?  How do you use it?  Why 32ohm instead of 250 or 600?

Thanks

USG

May 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm also interested in comparisons between the 32 ohm and the 250/600 ohm versions.

May 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
it'll be hard to find someone with 2 versions of same headphones

Not that hard.
atsmile.gif

I had the 250 and the 600 for a bit...
There is already a lot of discussion about the differences between these two.

shane

May 7, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
I have the '03 250 ohm version.

Tell me about your 32ohm version.  Where do you use it?  How do you use it?  Why 32ohm instead of 250 or 600?

Thanks

USG

The 32 ohm has the heaviest driver according to beyer and thus would be the least "proficient" in terms of accuracy assuming tonal balance is not affected due to impact on speed.

I do not think they will be easier to drive, but instead their power requirements will be shifted towards current rather than voltage (and maybe that voltage will be harder to supply).

Quote:
What does it change if you have more Ohms? (sorry im an audio-noob hehe)

Nothing, its just that beyer uses a different guage wire at some point on the driver, which changes the driver mass which results in faster acceleration (F=ma).

May 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 19
I bought the DT880/32 ohms because I wanted a pair of easy to drive headphones with an audiophile sound. The DT880s are easily the best headphones I own, when it comes to clarity, overall balance, and overall comfort. They do everything well. If I didn't need an easy to drive headphone, I would've gotten one of the higher ohm versions.

I admit that I really only bought them for gaming with my Astro mixamp, as for music and other things, I want funner, bass emphasized headphones. Still, they sound great with music, movies, virtual surround, etc. Nothing wrong with them...AT ALL.

I was told by another member of another forum I go to that he didn't find much of a difference between the DT880/32 and the DT880/250 aside from having to turn the volume knob more with the 250s. He has a lot of equipment, so he pretty much helped me seal the deal in getting the 32ohm version.

May 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 19
I've got the 32 ohm version and I have heard the 250 ohm version a couple of times.  Honestly couldn't tell a differencebetween them apart from the 32 ohm being slightly easier to drive to the same volume.

May 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 19
I had the DT-990 32 ohm version in the past and felt like the DT-880 32 ohm were a step down for me. I think mine were defective or sounded like it. Probably not.
The detail was so excessive that it got on my nerves. Voices kept having this "sssssssssss" sound to them (the main reason I returned them). They were so bright I couldn't stand them. I think i'm more sensitive to headphones like this then other people. The detail was even more forward then the AKG 702 that I had at the time. Those were not quite as "bad" to my ears, but close. I compare the DT-880 32ohm somewhat to the Grado 325i. Those things drove my crazy and I must be abnormal or something to not like them. The DT-880 32 ohm has a lot of positives and I really wanted to keep them. I certainly don't remember the DT-990 as being too "bright". Maybe i'm going deaf. The DT-880 seemed to sound best on classical music. I was pretty surprised at how good the soundstage was. Strangely, some music felt like it had a surround sound effect, which is a bit strange. More so then anything else by far.

Based on what i'm hearing, the DT-880 600 ohm or 250 ohm versions are supposed to be a lot better.

BTW I always loved my DT-990 32ohm and am going to try them out again. I think the midrange is a bit less recessed then the original DT-990 PRO from 2003 (or was it 2005?). I'm worried that the highs with the 990s will be just annoying to my ears as the 880 32 ohm. I hope i'm wrong!

May 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I had the DT-990 32 ohm version in the past and felt like the DT-880 32 ohm were a step down for me. I think mine were defective or sounded like it. Probably not.
The detail was so excessive that it got on my nerves. Voices kept having this "sssssssssss" sound to them (the main reason I returned them). They were so bright I couldn't stand them. I think i'm more sensitive to headphones like this then other people. The detail was even more forward then the AKG 702 that I had at the time. Those were not quite as "bad" to my ears, but close. I compare the DT-880 32ohm somewhat to the Grado 325i. Those things drove my crazy and I must be abnormal or something to not like them. The DT-880 32 ohm has a lot of positives and I really wanted to keep them. I certainly don't remember the DT-990 as being too "bright". Maybe i'm going deaf. The DT-880 seemed to sound best on classical music. I was pretty surprised at how good the soundstage was. Strangely, some music felt like it had a surround sound effect, which is a bit strange. More so then anything else by far.

Based on what i'm hearing, the DT-880 600 ohm or 250 ohm versions are supposed to be a lot better.

BTW I always loved my DT-990 32ohm and am going to try them out again. I think the midrange is a bit less recessed then the original DT-990 PRO from 2003 (or was it 2005?). I'm worried that the highs with the 990s will be just annoying to my ears as the 880 32 ohm. I hope i'm wrong!

I wouldn't bother with the DT880 / 250 ohm. You'll probably have the same 'ssssss' experience as you did with the 32 ohm (or maybe worse). They were almost painfully bright for me. That's why I was so skeptical about the 600 ohm. But what I was told turned out to be true and the DT880 / 600 ohm had less brilliant highs and a more full and robust sound.

Not full and rich like the HD600, but more so than the 250 ohm version.

shane

May 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with the DT880 / 250 ohm. You'll probably have the same 'ssssss' experience as you did with the 32 ohm (or maybe worse). They were almost painfully bright for me. That's why I was so skeptical about the 600 ohm. But what I was told turned out to be true and the DT880 / 600 ohm had less brilliant highs and a more full and robust sound.

Not full and rich like the HD600, but more so than the 250 ohm version.

shane

Thanks. I probably won't try out the DT-880 250 ohm. I just don't want to be too quick to judge the 250 or 600 ohm versions when I only had the 32 ohm version. I did order the Beyer DT-990 32 ohm with next day delivery. I hope to try them out tomorrow. I'm not sure why I did this and deep down I kept hearing "don't do it stupid!". Not because they might sound bad, but because I just bought the M50's yesterday. If the Shure 840 had the bass and comfort of the M50's, i'd be all set for a closed type of headphone that's portable. I like the sound out of the 840 a bit better, but not by much. The somewhat fatiguing highs on the 840 are the biggest negative. If I had a decent EQ on my portable device I could fix that. The Ipod Touch's EQ is worthless due to Apple dumbing down everything to keep it "simple". I have a Sansa View, but even with my portable amp, the sound is a bit too low.

Today I was sitting here listening to the M50's for about two hours. I then took off the M50s and went to the HD-600. Night and day difference for me. But for $100 headphones I can't complain. Only when I compare them side by side to the HD-600 can I find out their weaknesses. It's hard to spot them. The sound is a lot less clear then the HD-600. So far I haven't had a day where the sound of the HD-600's didn't impress me. I think i'd like a second pair, something with a ton of detail (more so then the 600) but that doesn't hurt my ears and just not excessive detail. If the AKG 702 was a tad more accurate and had a better fit I would have kept those.

Tomorrow for the DT-990's i'm expecting a lot of bass and no recessed midrange. I just hope the highs don't annoy me, but my expectations are going to be low. I actually had them about a year ago and sold them due to needing the money and already having the AKG 701 back then. They lost to the AKG 701, but I had totally forgotten I had the 32 ohm version. Doh! I don't know how I could have forgotten that. Strangely I never remembered thinking they had a lot of bass or them being too bright. I hope I remembered right.

May 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

Thanks. I probably won't try out the DT-880 250 ohm. I just don't want to be too quick to judge the 250 or 600 ohm versions when I only had the 32 ohm version. I did order the Beyer DT-990 32 ohm with next day delivery. I hope to try them out tomorrow. I'm not sure why I did this and deep down I kept hearing "don't do it stupid!". Not because they might sound bad, but because I just bought the M50's yesterday. If the Shure 840 had the bass and comfort of the M50's, i'd be all set for a closed type of headphone that's portable. I like the sound out of the 840 a bit better, but not by much. The somewhat fatiguing highs on the 840 are the biggest negative. If I had a decent EQ on my portable device I could fix that. The Ipod Touch's EQ is worthless due to Apple dumbing down everything to keep it "simple". I have a Sansa View, but even with my portable amp, the sound is a bit too low.

Today I was sitting here listening to the M50's for about two hours. I then took off the M50s and went to the HD-600. Night and day difference for me. But for $100 headphones I can't complain. Only when I compare them side by side to the HD-600 can I find out their weaknesses. It's hard to spot them. The sound is a lot less clear then the HD-600. So far I haven't had a day where the sound of the HD-600's didn't impress me. I think i'd like a second pair, something with a ton of detail (more so then the 600) but that doesn't hurt my ears and just not excessive detail. If the AKG 702 was a tad more accurate and had a better fit I would have kept those.

Tomorrow for the DT-990's i'm expecting a lot of bass and no recessed midrange. I just hope the highs don't annoy me, but my expectations are going to be low. I actually had them about a year ago and sold them due to needing the money and already having the AKG 701 back then. They lost to the AKG 701, but I had totally forgotten I had the 32 ohm version. Doh! I don't know how I could have forgotten that. Strangely I never remembered thinking they had a lot of bass or them being too bright. I hope I remembered right.

I certainly can't wait to hear your impressions of the DT990, especially in comparison to the HD600.
beerchug.gif

shane

May 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Thanks for your replies....

I'm still up in the air for computer use only headphones.  Will the 32 ohm versions deliver the same sound quality as the 250 ohm?

Btw, is anybody getting their posting notices?  None of the threads I subscribed to notify me anymore.

USG

May 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 19
I would highly doubt it. I find it very funny how today I hooked up some DT-990 32 ohm headphones to my Ipod touch using a Nuforce Mobile and the volume was maxed on both!
I was just surprised how low the volume was for it being 32 ohm. I also had that issue with the AKG 240 MK II

I can actually hook up my Sennheiser HD-600 to the same amp as a test and get even louder volume levels (yes, I know it's full sound quality!)

I think the 250 OHM version is probably the best way to go, even for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back