who got an HF1 about 45 minutes ago?
Apr 2, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I didn't make the short list.
plainface.gif
Disappointed would be an understatement, but so is life so I'll roll with the punches. Well, I feel a bit better getting it off my chest.

Anyway, I placed my confirmed order at exactly 12:00:00 PM Mountain Time on Todd's site, but I didn't take into account the Paypal payment option would be the final time stamp. Those few extra seconds killed my chances. . .

I've been thinking about drowning my sorrow by purchasing a pair of RS-1s.
rolleyes.gif

Well, there's a damn good reason I didn't bother today...

rs1smile.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #32 of 42
i think that making 5000 off the bat would have been better. I think it would cover everyone that wants one on the enthuist level. Chances are if your on head-fi you'll be curious about a can made just for us. Now 5000 would also make it special limited edition but help curb scalpers/resellers looking for a quick buck xbox 360 style. wether its 500 or 5000 i think they are still special. Also since they are 200 bucks, they can be a great midrange can for those looking for their first serious can. It can be gateway drug into this hobby. I think that if you like the grado sound, hf-1s and ms1s are a great starting point. And once you get started, most ppl will go up the ladder( like me with AT cans)

I still shudder to think about all those triports at bestbuy/CC/Airports being sold by the hundreds or even thousands. Numbers arent an issue IMO unless there are production issues that would cause grado to seriously lose out.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I didn't make the short list.
plainface.gif
Disappointed would be an understatement, but so is life so I'll roll with the punches. Well, I feel a bit better getting it off my chest.

Anyway, I placed my confirmed order at exactly 12:00:00 PM Mountain Time on Todd's site, but I didn't take into account the Paypal payment option would be the final time stamp. Those few extra seconds killed my chances. . .

I've been thinking about drowning my sorrow by purchasing a pair of RS-1s.
rolleyes.gif

You'll be drowning your sorrows with a better pair of headphones.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
wink.gif

-Ed

Someday, I really want to pit an HF-1 against an RS-2. Seems like less people own the RS-2 than the HF-1 though!

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
wink.gif

-Ed

I suppose a minor consolation to overcome my grief.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
i think that making 5000 off the bat would have been better. I think it would cover everyone that wants one on the enthuist level. Chances are if your on head-fi you'll be curious about a can made just for us. Now 5000 would also make it special limited edition but help curb scalpers/resellers looking for a quick buck xbox 360 style.

Considering Grado priced it less than the 225's and that it cost slightly more to make, and that $25 went back to Head-Fi, I don't think it would have been very lucrative to produce 5,000 of them.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #39 of 42
I'm amused by the people saying they should have sold 5000 or referring to supply and demand, insinuating that since demand is high right now, supply should meet such demand.

Late Summer 2005 supply was unlimited. Anyone who wanted one of these could get one. Grado wasn't interested in making one regularly available. I suspect this last batch is just a factor of having parts left over or something similar.

Anyone complaining about the limited supply now fails to understand that supply was unlimited in terms of quantity, but limited temporally. In other words, you failed to demand the product when Grado was willing to supply them. I welcome any of the complainers to argue that Grado should make these available for as long as such complainers so desire.

Congrats to everyone who managed to snag one of the last second surplus tail end of this run!

Best,

-Jason

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprokid
Considering Grado priced it less than the 225's and that it cost slightly more to make, and that $25 went back to Head-Fi, I don't think it would have been very lucrative to produce 5,000 of them.

They're worth about $300 soundwise in the Grado lineup. If produced at that price, I feel like they'd be totally worth it and most likely turn a little profit.

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #41 of 42
I have been following the whole HF-1 saga, since it began several weeks ago. I own SR 125's, and with a few minor quibbles, really enjoy their sound. I have read reviews, and seen some great pics of the HF-1 here on HeadFi, and was all ready to get in on this sale. Only problem was, I was a little short on the "cha-ching"; so I decided to not get in on this one. In a month (or better yet, two...for my birthday); I'll be in a better position to upgrade to better Grado's.

As much as I was disappointed that the timing didn't work for me, this sale has been an eye-opener for me in many ways. I've read discussions, and seen pics of my favourite brand of cans. I discovered the beauty of some modded Grado's (done by the Master...Larry, at Headphile).

I have enjoyed the forums and discussions, and come up with some ideas, about what I'm looking for, in my next Grado purchase. I even had a chance to communicate via email with Todd; and Larry, of Headphile. Both answered my emails and seem very nice to do business with. Both, will receive mine, in the very near future.

With that said, I would also like to say thanks to Jude, for this site.

Several months ago, I was a sad veteran audiophile of 26 years, who had just sold his entire beloved system. I have loved music for all of my life, and knew that there was no way I could live without anything to listen to; so I thought I'd "settle" for an MP3 player/computer/headphone-based set up. After discovering the PA2V2 head-amp on Ebay, and RnB180 (aka RnBaudio)'s link to this site...I discovered a whole new form of high end sound possibilities. Truthfully, I would never have thought a headphone-based setup, could sound anywhere as good, as what I'm presently experiencing with my modest portable components.

Turns out, I don't feel I've settled for anything; in fact, I feel I've gained, since headphones aren't prone to the listening-room problems a speaker-based system has. It's also easier to get good sound, for WAAAAYYY-less money. I haven't been a member here long, so I've held off on becoming a contributing-member. I wanted to check the site out, to see what it was all about.

Even though circumstances didn't allow me to get an HF-1, I'd like to thank Todd for his idea of contributing $25 of each HF-1 he sold, to Jude, here at HeadFi. I'm gonna follow his lead.

Jude, I will send you my contributing membership next week. This is a great site; and worth at least the price of a magazine subscription...or about 1/4 of an HF-1...LOL!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Late Summer 2005 supply was unlimited. Anyone who wanted one of these could get one. Grado wasn't interested in making one regularly available. I suspect this last batch is just a factor of having parts left over or something similar.

Anyone complaining about the limited supply now fails to understand that supply was unlimited in terms of quantity, but limited temporally. In other words, you failed to demand the product when Grado was willing to supply them. I welcome any of the complainers to argue that Grado should make these available for as long as such complainers so desire.

-Jason

hmmm i joined head-fi earlier this year, before that i didnt even know what the hell what a grado was, let alone, know it was available. I feel that im a full fledge member, attending a meet, regular posting participation, lots of buying selling on f/s as well as buying from sponsers. I plan to contribute directly once i hit 1k posts. I guess cus im new, i'm so outta luck eh? i feel that meeting demand is great for ppl in the know but it doesnt do any good for new commers. How do you pass on the experience when the experience is no longer available or costs 2.5 times than the first time around?

anyways, its all good i got my sights on some ms2s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back