Who else likes Madonna?
Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to her album ALMOST every day since 11/15 (date of her last album's release)! I am absolutely insane! haha!

Went to her last tour which was phenominal. She has a new tour this year. I am not sure yet if I will go or not. THe ticket prices are roumered to be $55-$350/person. So, we'll see.
basshead.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Shes a tremendous artist and an American Icon, no doubt.
However, her attitude and general demeanor (along with alot of politically charged STUPIDITY) has completely turned me off to the point that I cant listen to anything she does anymore.
For me, its a shame.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 14
I dig Madonna. Confessions is a very good dance pop album. In fact, it may be the best of 05. Her True Blue - Erotica period is my favorite. She really came into her own then.

I admire Madonna. What other big 80's/90's pop artists are still relevant? Michael Jackson has become a sick joke - more about scandal than music. His sister continues to release work that is underwhelming and quickly forgotten. George Michael is another tabloid example. Mariah Carey still moves copy, but she has a distance to travel before matching the big M's longevity or artistic cred. Madonna is still selling platinum in a genre that is fickle and subject to whim. Like David Bowie, she stays current by working with hot talent and evolving - something that is hard and something we should all admire her for.

Here's to another 50 years!

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 14
I like Madonna but the recent album was a let down for me. I found the 'compression' type sound terrible to listen to. I can't stand the sound going up and down in volume between bass drum beats.

The three before though imo were great albums. (I just don't connect with the recent one)

Ian

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I admire Madonna. What other big 80's/90's pop artists are still relevant?

I agree with your post, but you forgot about Prince! He has the #1 album right now on the Billboard 200.

Back to the topic, if someone doesn't like "Live to Tell" by Madonna, I don't like them.
tongue.gif

But yeah, her new stuff is kind of copying Goldfrapp. And I'm not really down with seeing some 40+ year-old Mom dancing at the club. But that's just me.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I agree with your post, but you forgot about Prince! He has the #1 album right now on the Billboard 200.

Back to the topic, if someone doesn't like "Live to Tell" by Madonna, I don't like them.
tongue.gif

But yeah, her new stuff is kind of copying Goldfrapp. And I'm not really down with seeing some 40+ year-old Mom dancing at the club. But that's just me.

I saw Prince on SNL and I was underwhelmed to say the least. In fact, it was utterly horrible. He looks like a scary rat with velour fur.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Man, I really dig Borderline . . . listened to it endlessly when I was in high school, when I was reading Asimov, Heinlein and Tolkien.

I am not sure about the link with Asimov and Tolkien, but I am also a fan of her first album (self-titled), which came out in 1983 (year I graduated from high school). All songs are solid and sound "fresh", even today : Holiday, Lucky Star, Physical Attraction... I think it was produced by Jellybean Benitez.

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Man, I really dig Borderline . . . listened to it endlessly when I was in high school, when I was reading Asimov, Heinlein and Tolkien.

I remember when I got a little older and could understand what "Borderline" was really about. Oh man.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs
I saw Prince on SNL and I was underwhelmed to say the least. In fact, it was utterly horrible. He looks like a scary rat with velour fur.

OK. But considering there are only a handful of artists in the rock n roll era who can be spoken in the same breath with the Purple One when it comes to talent/genius, I'll give him a pass if he isn't exactly knocking me over in the twilight of his career. Dude could have easily retired in 1988 after Lovesexy and still been revered as one of the greatest of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back